Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Woah, It Looks Like Oracle Will Stand Behind OpenSolaris

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Btrfs is a zfs killer, because it's a much faster then zfs, has a feature parity with it and what's the most important it's the Linux file system. Kebbabert, you have lied about Firefox devs switching to slowlaris. Now, you showed few "devs" more links, but not related to what you were claiming.

    I see nothing here, about switching to slowlaris.

    It seems it's an only dev who switched (and you gave this link before, so he's counted only once). Where are the others? You do lie and FUD.

    Three or four maybe prefer to use it, but as far I can see an only one is claiming he has switched. You do lie and FUD.

    An another meaningless example. Does he switch? Nothing about this.

    There are many stories. Many of them are good for children.

    Afaik, Solaris is a living ocean, so I bet such lame devs from the Sun know nothing about it.

    So, Keb, "Firefox developers have switched from Ubuntu to Solaris just because of DTrace" it's a lie, isn't it?
    If I say "Mozilla devs have switched to OpenSolaris" it is very different from saying "All mozilla devs have switched to OpenSolaris". If I say "it rained last week" - do I mean it rained the entire week, or do I mean that someday it rained? If I say "I went to Spain last summer" do I mean I was in Spain the entire whole summer, or that I did spend only a period in Spain? If I say "police men hit me last year" do I mean all policemen in the world hit me?

    Kraftman, now you are just silly again. There are several Mozilla devs that uses DTrace. One of them even nominated DTrace to an award. If Mozilla devs use DTrace, then they must use OpenSolaris. There are no DTrace on Linux.

    If you post reasonable interesting things, with links and if you stop FUDing (which you confessed you do) I can continue discussion. But not when you just play dumb.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    Kraftman, now you are just silly again. There are several Mozilla devs that uses DTrace. One of them even nominated DTrace to an award. If Mozilla devs use DTrace, then they must use OpenSolaris. There are no DTrace on Linux.
    I think they mostly use DTrace on Macs, actually. They've never cared much about Linux/Unix. And even OSX support has always been a distant 2nd to windows.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I think they mostly use DTrace on Macs, actually. They've never cared much about Linux/Unix. And even OSX support has always been a distant 2nd to windows.
    Initially it was close to that at Mozilla, but fortunately it's not so polarized anymore, though Windows versions development still gets attention first (not accidentally though - the majority of the userbase use Windows).

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    If I say "Mozilla devs have switched to OpenSolaris" it is very different from saying "All mozilla devs have switched to OpenSolaris".
    You have shown only ONE dev. So, not Mozilla devs, but ONE Mozilla dev.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    You have shown only ONE dev. So, not Mozilla devs, but ONE Mozilla dev.
    Jesus Kraftman. I can mail those DTrace praisers at Mozilla and ask how many have switched from Linux just because of DTrace, and maybe he will say 3-4 or 14% of all devs, or 90% or whatever. That is not the point.

    The point is, there are Mozilla developers that have switched from Linux just because they want DTrace. There are people here, saying that DTrace is not as good as people say, DTrace is just a polished version of Systemtap. I am telling them: "No, DTrace is far better. You are wrong on this. There are Linux developers that have switched to only get DTrace. How can that happen, if DTrace is just slightly better? Ergo, DTrace is not slightly better. It is VASTLY better."

    And I posted links to Linux people switching to OpenSolaris/Solaris. The point is to show that DTrace is VASTLY better than anything else on the market. The point is not exactly how many Linux devs that have switched, that is not important. I just want to show that there ARE Linux devs switching, just because to get DTrace. That DTrace is superior to anything else, which is proven by several Linux devs switch just to get DTrace. Hence, you are wrong, DTrace is not just slightly more polished.

    So the question is: Is DTrace far superior, or slightly more polished? That is what we are trying to discuss. Jesus Kraftman, did you miss that discussion, or are you just trying to play dumb? Do you have anything interesting to add to the DTrace superiority discussion? Or are you going to post the same old "Systemtap is a DTrace killer! Systemtap is 1337 HaX0rz best" again?

    If you have some interesting links to add to the discussion, for instance a link saying: Developer try out DTrace and then after some time developer says "I gone back to Systemtap. After the first month, I realised DTrace is not that much better than Systemtap", then post such links. Or if you have links that show Developers switch from DTrace to Systemtap, then post it. If you have no links which shows developers prefer Systemtap before DTrace, then you have nothing interesting to add to the discussion. I have showed links where Developers switch from Linux just to get DTrace. You have not showed links that show Developers switch just to get Systemtap, or where Developers praise Systemtap over DTrace. So, how can DTrace just be "slightly more polished"? No, that is wrong. DTrace is vastly better.

    This is actually evident if you are a programmer. If you are not, you will not understand anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •