Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    IIRC, AMD is already allocating more devs to Linux drivers than Windows drivers when compared to the corresponding market share.

    Still, the rate of development has slowed down somewhat since the latest batch of power management patches. For example, there has been no news on colour tiling (patches are still not in git). I guess that the Evergreen and r600g transition are soaking up all the available manpower.
    no the manpower goes into R800 mesa driver.

    After that the manpower goes into openGL2.1 and then Rx00'g' and then shader video acceleration

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    IIRC, AMD is already allocating more devs to Linux drivers than Windows drivers when compared to the corresponding market share.
    Says who? AMD To know that we first have to know how big is Linux market share compared to Windows and how much dev hours they are actually allocating to Linux. The latter is kind of difficult to asses since some (1?) of the devs are not committing to public source code repositories.

    In any case AMD is not investing enough in the Linux platform IMO, and for many NVidia will still be the first choice when it comes to graphics solutions. Such a shame.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Still, the rate of development has slowed down somewhat since the latest batch of power management patches. For example, there has been no news on colour tiling (patches are still not in git). I guess that the Evergreen and r600g transition are soaking up all the available manpower.
    Tiling didn't make it into the kernel in time for 2.6.35. It should be in 2.6.36 when the merge window opens. New mesa and ddx patches are available here for use against drm-radeon-testing which has the latest current tiling patches:
    http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/r6xx-7xx-tiling/

    Most of my time lately as been spent fixing regressions in 2.6.35 and working on evergreen support.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Says who? AMD To know that we first have to know how big is Linux market share compared to Windows and how much dev hours they are actually allocating to Linux. The latter is kind of difficult to asses since some (1?) of the devs are not committing to public source code repositories.

    In any case AMD is not investing enough in the Linux platform IMO, and for many NVidia will still be the first choice when it comes to graphics solutions. Such a shame.
    This whole discussion is irrelevent to the open source stack anyways. We were asked to provide programming information and let the community implement the drivers. We're doing that *and* funding AMD developers to work with the driver development community.

    Complaints about fglrx staffing levels should be in the "AMD/ATI Linux" forum

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    You know Intel hires quite a bit of devs to work on Linux, not just all directly hardware related. e.g. They are doing some great work on the Clutter toolkit. Did anybody ask them to do so? No. They understand that in order to sell their hardware they gotta have a healthy software ecosystem around it that can turn the dumb hardware into something useful. Similar with Google, also investing in open source technologies without being asked to do so.

    Clearly they are seeing investing in open source technologies as something that will be beneficial to them. So why can't AMD see that? You can not make money without investing first.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    You know Intel hires quite a bit of devs to work on Linux, not just all directly hardware related. e.g. They are doing some great work on the Clutter toolkit.
    Things on the Intel side aren't so great. Here at work I have a Lenovo system with an Intel i5, which has an integrated Intel graphics 'accelerator' ... apparently an i965-class chip. Since I got this system, I have been unable to use anything other than the FBDEV driver because using xf86-video-intel and mesa causes hard lockups. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28454.

    On the other hand, I've always had AMD / ATI products at home, and one thing that's always struck me is that as support for new products arrives, it's rock solid in terms of stability.

    Considering the differing market share of AMD vs Intel, I think AMD are doing an amazing job with support for their hardware. Clutter is a nice side project, sure, but unless I can actually use my Intel hardware with 3D support enabled, it's pretty useless.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    dkasak - You may be interested in this https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-x...el/+bug/516909

    , in particular the info at the end.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Complaints about fglrx staffing levels should be in the "AMD/ATI Linux" forum
    Maybe we need yet another forum for meaningless rants that doesn't end up on Google and has stellar-sized warning labels that information here is likely subjective.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Jerome Glisse just committed initial texture mapping support for r600g to Git. Doesn't really work right yet, but I guess it's high priority.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •