Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI dropped the ball again

Panix, I really think that you should not use ATi stuff and only ever use Nvidia for everything.

This is what you want, this is what you've been convincing everybody to do for months now, and this is what you had decided long time before you had even owned an ATi card.

What the hell is Lubuntu anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Panix, I really think that you should not use ATi stuff and only ever use Nvidia for everything.

This is what you want, this is what you've been convincing everybody to do for months now, and this is what you had decided long time before you had even owned an ATi card.

It is the LXDE version of Ubuntu. They are not official yet, but they hope to be like Xubuntu in this respect.

the OSS drivers lack good power management.
    Not anymore, with the latest kernel, you get great savings, as both voltage and clock frequency are scaled.

FGLRX is probably still more efficient, but the oss drivers do not burn your card at full blast anymore. I've measured considerable drops in temperature with a recent kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Darn right!
    Here is a list of things they are guilty of:
    • Making blazing fast GPUs
    • Using less power than the comparable Nvidia card
    • Providing driver updates every month
    • Creating sub-egg-cooking temperatures
    • Beating everyone to the OGL 4/DX 11 market by a mile
    • Being able to drive more than 2 monitors with a single video card
    • General amazingness
    Was being sarcastic Bro, but yeah, people always like to bitch at ATI for some reason.

Not anymore, with the latest kernel, you get great savings, as both voltage and clock frequency are scaled.

FGLRX is probably still more efficient, but the oss drivers do not burn your card at full blast anymore. I've measured considerable drops in temperature with a recent kernel.
    I only got some old pre-r5xx chips to test, and with those dynamic PM is largely unusable due to it causing kernel hard locks. Being able to use the power profiles is useful though, since my laptops no longer catch on fire because of it.

Dynpm is stable here, but not mature enough due to flicker and other issues.

But profiles are a welcome addition.

Unfortunately without a working dynpm it's just useless crap

Look it up.

I'll switch to Nvidia when you solder a Nvidia card in my (ATI-equipped) laptop. I hope you are good at it.

After messing around with KMS and this ATI-equipped laptop, I can say I'll be avoiding any kind of ATI card from now on. Only because I might have to get a cheap laptop and settle on whatever is available (would it be with ATI).

I won't be buying any ATI card for my desktop as long as I use Linux with it, that's for sure!

ATI SUCKS!

I believe I disabled KMS but dmesg | grep drm seemed to show it was still enabled. Later, I tried another command (Kano's) and now maybe it isn't?

ATI doesn't support Linux, bottom line. A crappy open source driver they don't support when the card gets too old for them to the binary driver that is constantly broken or devoid of features to bugs that seem to be continue to the next release... etc. etc. ATI is in Mikey$oft's bed, period. I guess others get fooled.

Disabling KMS doesn't make drm go away; drm just starts up when X initializes DRI rather than at boot time.

You didn't mention what problem you were trying to solve by disabling KMS - is it in another thread or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    After messing around with KMS and this ATI-equipped laptop, I can say I'll be avoiding any kind of ATI card from now on. Only because I might have to get a cheap laptop and settle on whatever is available (would it be with ATI).

I won't be buying any ATI card for my desktop as long as I use Linux with it, that's for sure!

ATI SUCKS!

I believe I disabled KMS but dmesg | grep drm seemed to show it was still enabled. Later, I tried another command (Kano's) and now maybe it isn't?

ATI doesn't support Linux, bottom line. A crappy open source driver they don't support when the card gets too old for them to the binary driver that is constantly broken or devoid of features to bugs that seem to be continue to the next release... etc. etc. ATI is in Mikey$oft's bed, period. I guess others get fooled.
    r200 is very old.. r200 also does not support any modern 'shader'

means your dx8 shader 1.4 hardware isn't flexible.

be sure no modern driver architecture will ever run in this for galium3d you need OGP2.1 hardware at minimum or better ogl3 hardware.

wine for exampel need opengl2.1 shader functions.. if not its drops you to dx7 level ....

r200 is released in 2001 ... means its 9 year old hardware. ..

and hey read this

wikipedia about r200:

"Some segments of the Linux user community, which prefer to avoid the IP-encumbered ATI drivers due to stability and long term maintainability reasons, still prefer the R200-based chips, as they are among the fastest modern video cards with stable open source 3D drivers."

LOL ;-)

come one sell this old notebook and get a R300 based one..