Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 176

Thread: R800 3D mesa driver is shortly before release

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuSTman View Post
    I, too, have been studying Open Source Intelligence, and am pleased to announce that each install of the R800/Evergreen mesa driver will come with a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever.
    open source is really awesome!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuSTman View Post
    I, too, have been studying Open Source Intelligence, and am pleased to announce that each install of the R800/Evergreen mesa driver will come with a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever.
    LOL

    stupid 10 characters limit

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    open source is really awesome!
    ' Open Source Intelligence' is not Opensource software....

    but yes both of them are awesome

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    ' Open Source Intelligence' is not Opensource software....

    but yes both of them are awesome
    So you have open source intelligence? If so is it GPL and could you pm me a copy so I can rewrite it for you X.x ...

    R800c or R800g isn't likely to be out soon at all (R600 support is still weeks or months away... if anything R800 is further) IMO I mean at least work on R6/700 exists in the wild... R800 does not it would be nice if they started off with a gallium driver instead of rewriting a classic driver as is being done with R600 Gallium ought to be a good bit more stable by now... and hopefully stable enought to write a driver on directly.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Very basic Evergreen acceleration won't come to pre-packaged distributions like Ubuntu till version 11.11, that's near end of 2011. Talk about out of box experience OSS. By then HD5000 family would like obsoleted long time ago.

    It is one thing to use your hardware, it is another thing to use it within it's useful life time. With ATI you only got the first. But that's still better than the fglrx days. Gosh I remember R300/R500 people still waiting for proper driver for 3 years and ATI decided to stop supporting for them. What a miserable memory

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    -Non editable Continue-

    Stop supporting? Did you even started supporting? what a joke service

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    So you have open source intelligence? If so is it GPL and could you pm me a copy so I can rewrite it for you X.x ...

    R800c or R800g isn't likely to be out soon at all (R600 support is still weeks or months away... if anything R800 is further) IMO I mean at least work on R6/700 exists in the wild... R800 does not it would be nice if they started off with a gallium driver instead of rewriting a classic driver as is being done with R600 Gallium ought to be a good bit more stable by now... and hopefully stable enought to write a driver on directly.
    To clarify, r600 support (non gallium) is indeed there, and r600g is just now showing its first signs of life. Apparently they were going to modify the r600 classic driver for the evergreens as this would be a lot quicker, as there's considerable commonality between the chips. Anyway, last I heard there was basic working drivers for the evergreen, that just need IP review.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuSTman View Post
    To clarify, r600 support (non gallium) is indeed there, and r600g is just now showing its first signs of life. Apparently they were going to modify the r600 classic driver for the evergreens as this would be a lot quicker, as there's considerable commonality between the chips. Anyway, last I heard there was basic working drivers for the evergreen, that just need IP review.

    I'm well aware of that... and didn't feel it was worth the effort to clarify that as I had already said r600 code was in the wild and r800 not so much...

    IMO sure they could modfiy r600c and continue wasting effort there ... or they could just get on with r600g instead of fragmenting development and doing double work and double debugging

    even if gallium is not stable its probably still less work than writing a complete driver and then piecing a gallium driver together from parts of that which seems completely backwards to me...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    even if gallium is not stable its probably still less work than writing a complete driver and then piecing a gallium driver together from parts of that which seems completely backwards to me...
    Point is, they aren't writing a complete driver - they're copying the r600 one. The evergreen microcode format is almost identical to that of r600/r700, with the exceptions of needing interpolation instructions for texture reads, so the compiler could probably be used with very little modification. Then there's apparently been some changes to the register offsets, but that, again, is something that should be straightforward to fixup for someone with the information.

    I mean, from what we're told, it's so similar that it would probably take a full-time dev who's familiar with the codebase and has all the info no more than a week to adapt a copy of the r600 classic driver, whereas a gallium driver would probably take a couple of months at least before it reaches the same level of maturity.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    So you have open source intelligence? If so is it GPL and could you pm me a copy so I can rewrite it for you X.x ...

    R800c or R800g isn't likely to be out soon at all (R600 support is still weeks or months away... if anything R800 is further) IMO I mean at least work on R6/700 exists in the wild... R800 does not it would be nice if they started off with a gallium driver instead of rewriting a classic driver as is being done with R600 Gallium ought to be a good bit more stable by now... and hopefully stable enought to write a driver on directly.
    classic first! ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •