Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: R800 3D mesa driver is shortly before release

Quote Originally Posted by DuSTman View Post
    I, too, have been studying Open Source Intelligence, and am pleased to announce that each install of the R800/Evergreen mesa driver will come with a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever.
    open source is really awesome!

I, too, have been studying Open Source Intelligence, and am pleased to announce that each install of the R800/Evergreen mesa driver will come with a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever.
    LOL

stupid 10 characters limit

Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    open source is really awesome!
    ' Open Source Intelligence' is not Opensource software....

but yes both of them are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    ' Open Source Intelligence' is not Opensource software....

but yes both of them are awesome
    So you have open source intelligence? If so is it GPL and could you pm me a copy so I can rewrite it for you X.x ...

R800c or R800g isn't likely to be out soon at all (R600 support is still weeks or months away... if anything R800 is further) IMO I mean at least work on R6/700 exists in the wild... R800 does not it would be nice if they started off with a gallium driver instead of rewriting a classic driver as is being done with R600 Gallium ought to be a good bit more stable by now... and hopefully stable enought to write a driver on directly.

Very basic Evergreen acceleration won't come to pre-packaged distributions like Ubuntu till version 11.11, that's near end of 2011. Talk about out of box experience OSS. By then HD5000 family would like obsoleted long time ago.

It is one thing to use your hardware, it is another thing to use it within it's useful life time. With ATI you only got the first. But that's still better than the fglrx days. Gosh I remember R300/R500 people still waiting for proper driver for 3 years and ATI decided to stop supporting for them. What a miserable memory

-Non editable Continue-

Stop supporting? Did you even started supporting? what a joke service

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    So you have open source intelligence? If so is it GPL and could you pm me a copy so I can rewrite it for you X.x ...

R800c or R800g isn't likely to be out soon at all (R600 support is still weeks or months away... if anything R800 is further) IMO I mean at least work on R6/700 exists in the wild... R800 does not it would be nice if they started off with a gallium driver instead of rewriting a classic driver as is being done with R600 Gallium ought to be a good bit more stable by now... and hopefully stable enought to write a driver on directly.
    To clarify, r600 support (non gallium) is indeed there, and r600g is just now showing its first signs of life. Apparently they were going to modify the r600 classic driver for the evergreens as this would be a lot quicker, as there's considerable commonality between the chips. Anyway, last I heard there was basic working drivers for the evergreen, that just need IP review.

To clarify, r600 support (non gallium) is indeed there, and r600g is just now showing its first signs of life. Apparently they were going to modify the r600 classic driver for the evergreens as this would be a lot quicker, as there's considerable commonality between the chips. Anyway, last I heard there was basic working drivers for the evergreen, that just need IP review.

I'm well aware of that... and didn't feel it was worth the effort to clarify that as I had already said r600 code was in the wild and r800 not so much...

IMO sure they could modfiy r600c and continue wasting effort there ... or they could just get on with r600g instead of fragmenting development and doing double work and double debugging

even if gallium is not stable its probably still less work than writing a complete driver and then piecing a gallium driver together from parts of that which seems completely backwards to me...

even if gallium is not stable its probably still less work than writing a complete driver and then piecing a gallium driver together from parts of that which seems completely backwards to me...
    Point is, they aren't writing a complete driver - they're copying the r600 one. The evergreen microcode format is almost identical to that of r600/r700, with the exceptions of needing interpolation instructions for texture reads, so the compiler could probably be used with very little modification. Then there's apparently been some changes to the register offsets, but that, again, is something that should be straightforward to fixup for someone with the information.

I mean, from what we're told, it's so similar that it would probably take a full-time dev who's familiar with the codebase and has all the info no more than a week to adapt a copy of the r600 classic driver, whereas a gallium driver would probably take a couple of months at least before it reaches the same level of maturity.

classic first! ...