Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,105

    Default KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

    Phoronix: KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

    We're just days away from the release of KDE SC 4.5, but details are now surfacing from Martin Graesslin about his planned KWin compositing changes in the KDE SC 4.6 and 4.7 releases. Compositing in KDE SC 4.6 should be much faster, support mobile rendering using OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, and potentially offer a stable ABI. With KDE SC 4.7 is where we're looking at the KDE world to potentially begin tapping OpenGL 3.0 for a better compositing experience...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ1Ng

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default

    What does this mean if graphics drivers or cards don't support the standard?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    94

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by atmartens View Post
    What does this mean if graphics drivers or cards don't support the standard?
    The blog says:
    My abstraction for VBO is able to fall back to legacy rendering if VBOs are not available (very unlikely), which gives us just one high level API call to do legacy, normal and modern (forward compatible) rendering.
    So I guess this means that if the driver doesn't handle it the current (legacy) mode will be used. And if even this isn't posible there is still XRender mode I guess.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    KDE, always two steps ahead of any other GUI on the planet, including Windows and Mac OS X

    Where will KDE be 3 years from now? Oh boy excitement

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I wish it would be only some instructions from OpenGL 3.0 which even older cards (not OpenGL 3.0 compiliant) and drivers could handle (in hardware acceleration).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    What does KWin gain from OpenGL 3? The blog post doesn't say.

  7. #7

    Default

    Compositing in KDE SC 4.6 should be much faster,
    There's a space for improvement. Compiz is much faster in some things right now. Btw. great article, good to see it's not a few liner only.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    KDE, always two steps ahead of any other GUI on the planet, including Windows and Mac OS X

    Where will KDE be 3 years from now? Oh boy excitement
    Cool story... NOT. Amature looking gui is ahead osx? What were u smoking? Technology might be not bad, but the look of kde stuff is so damn ugly, they should hire REAL designers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Cool story... NOT. Amature looking gui is ahead osx? What were u smoking? Technology might be not bad, but the look of kde stuff is so damn ugly, they should hire REAL designers.
    I like the design, but firefox and eclipse are a real pain!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koorac View Post
    I like the design, but firefox and eclipse are a real pain!
    Then blame gtk.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •