Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support

You don't need the whole library (he probably won't agree to that), you only need the parts that you have used to be dual-licensed. That is more likely to work.

In the worst case, you can still make your library standalone and make Mesa load it when available.

Why does intel bother close sourcing their drivers anyway? Its not like anyone buy's intel hardware for graphics performance right?

Quote Originally Posted by dacresbu View Post
    Why does intel bother close sourcing their drivers anyway? Its not like anyone buy's intel hardware for graphics performance right?
    In the case of the GMA500, the 3D hardware is licensed from another company so it's not theirs to release.

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    Funny, it's also what some Linux people do. They scourge BSD code for inspiration and ideas
    LOL. Do you really believe that. I know for a fact that a lot of FreeBSD people are drooling over Linux USB, sound and other hardware support. But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.

and then blatantly violate the license by removing the text of the license... Despite the fact that they could have just legally used the code if they had kept the license in place:

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=a...20070829001634

Adam
    Ehh no. Someone posted a patch to lkml to remove the copyright notice in question but the patch was never applied; hence there was never a violation of the license, despite the drama the BSD people wanted to create about this.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.
    Sane licensing.

/ducks

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    In the case of the GMA500, the 3D hardware is licensed from another company so it's not theirs to release.
    Of course that doesn't explain why they don't release a decent 2D driver...

No, one doesn't buy a notebook with the GMA500 for the performance, but for a small, low power solution. I have very specific needs for my notebook and I know of only one single line that fits somewhat, and it runs a GMA500. The Windwos drivers also crap, BTW.

I have a little hope that maybe with APUs, the GMA500 would become obsolete, but unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    LOL. Do you really believe that. I know for a fact that a lot of FreeBSD people are drooling over Linux USB, sound and other hardware support. But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.
    A friendly monraaf-free community.

But I can't think of anything special that FreeBSD has to offer.
    You can write closed source code for big companies without getting paid?

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    A friendly monraaf-free community.
    Can't argue with that, the FreeBSD community is definitely a monraaf-free community