Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support

BSD is a license for a perfect world in which everyone shares and those who share get rewarded and respected.

GPL is a license for an imperfect world in which those who share get shafted and have their code used against them.

There are times where a BSD-like license is preferable. But most of the time, it feels a lot like bringing a self-baked cake to Walmart, and then having to pay for parking on their property as a "thank you".

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    There are times where a BSD-like license is preferable. But most of the time, it feels a lot like bringing a self-baked cake to Walmart, and then having to pay for parking on their property as a "thank you".
    Huh... I'd guess that if it really felt that way, people wouldn't be releasing their code under a BSD-like license.

Adam

I've released code under BSD-like licenses, FWIW.

And I'd do it again when the license fits.

The idea of donating charity to big corporations so they can screw you over (like they did with Kerberos) is terrible, though. why should I donate code to multi-billion dollar companies?

They are selling products, and ask for money in return. So if they use my code, they should offer money in return.

The idea of donating charity to big corporations so they can screw you over (like they did with Kerberos) is terrible, though. why should I donate code to multi-billion dollar companies?

They are selling products, and ask for money in return. So if they use my code, they should offer money in return.
    <sarcasm>Well I'm glad this didn't descend into a licence debate that didn't help anybody</sarcasm>.

To add to this debate, I provide my own perspective:

If good code is BSD licenced, (e.g. OpenSSH) then everybody will use it, even if they do put it behind a proprietary licence. The downside is that they *might* not contribute money/equipment/anything back to the community, the upside is that the *end users* get the best code of any sort running on their machines.

The BSD licence strikes me as a "it's for the good of everybody, even if it's not great for us"-style licence, whereas GPL strikes me as a "only help people if they are prepared to release their modifications."-style licence.

People may disagree, and I do find the differing points of view interesting, but if you're going to flame me then please go and have a cup of tea instead - we'll both feel better for it

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    The BSD licence strikes me as a "it's for the good of everybody, even if it's not great for us"-style licence, whereas GPL strikes me as a "only help people if they are prepared to release their modifications."-style licence.
    I feel compelled to point out that the GNU GPL only requires you to release anything if you distribute your program. You may modify any GNU GPL program and use it within your own organization without giving anyone any of your changes.

In other news far more relevant to this threads topic, R600g now has point/sprite rendering support http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...98a6f5f2142207

People have short memories.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2000/0511kerberos.html

Do you know why Wine changed their license to LGPL?

People have short memories.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2000/0511kerberos.html

Do you know why Wine changed their license to LGPL?
    Because Cedega was pulling Wine code, extended it with their own Direct3D shit and didn't contribute back.

That however is _NOT_ embrace, extend and extinguish.

The Windows Kerberos story, however, was classic Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.

The Windows Kerberos story, however, was classic Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.
    And the t-shirt I'm wearing right now is grey.

So my point is: what exactly is your point?

Well, since it's in LGPL, not GPL, you could technically make adjustments you want under LGPL to change the API such that you could get to use all functionality from Wine in your proprietary program and then keep extending the functionality in the proprietary side which links against Wine. Sort of a mess but as far as I've understood legal.