Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: Benchmarks Of The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,083

    Default Benchmarks Of The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux

    Phoronix: Benchmarks Of The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux

    Traditionally at Phoronix we have stayed away from publishing benchmarks of Gentoo and similar source-based distributions for the lack of them having a standard or "stock" configuration for which one can easily replicate our tested software stack due to all of the different variables that come into play so the value of these benchmarks are much less compared to those distributions providing pre-compiled binaries for a standardized set of packages. However, satisfying a number of requests, we are publishing such benchmarks today. Rather than using Gentoo itself for benchmarking, we are using Calculate Linux Desktop, which is Gentoo-based while providing a very nice "out of the box" experience, i686 and x86_64 binaries, and overall is a polished and user-friendly Gentoo experience.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15170

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    First of all: thanks for the benchmarks.

    However, this is a slap in the face for all Gentoo users: you were,
    as I understood, asked to perform a comparison against Gentoo. Instead, you pick some random distribution with *binary* packages, which are also pretty outdated. Calculate Linux is not Gentoo, despite it is being based on.

    To clarify the point of Gentoo (IMHO, of course):
    - CPU-optimized compilation of source packages
    - availability of most recent packages (e.g. GCC, Glibc, X11, ...)

    Please: either work out a proper benchmark, or, if you can't, just do not mention "Gentoo" in your article titles!

    Thanks!
    paravoid


    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Benchmarks Of The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux

    Traditionally at Phoronix we have stayed away from publishing benchmarks of Gentoo and similar source-based distributions for the lack of them having a standard or "stock" configuration for which one can easily replicate our tested software stack due to all of the different variables that come into play so the value of these benchmarks are much less compared to those distributions providing pre-compiled binaries for a standardized set of packages. However, satisfying a number of requests, we are publishing such benchmarks today. Rather than using Gentoo itself for benchmarking, we are using Calculate Linux Desktop, which is Gentoo-based while providing a very nice "out of the box" experience, i686 and x86_64 binaries, and overall is a polished and user-friendly Gentoo experience.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15170

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default graphs

    Please, for easier viewing consider doing the following:
    When you have multiple test-systems and are *not* comparing the systems, give them separate scales.

    Avoiding graphs like this should be a high priority, as one side of it is completely useless...
    [img]http://www.phoronix.com/data/img/results/calculate_gentoo_benchmarks/7.png[img]

    thanks for the tests, anyway, though what most people asking for gentoo benchmarks likely want is likely far from these benchmarks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Interesting, will have a look into the bzip and gzip numbers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    In before "Gentoo's not supposed to be faster until it's completely built for the exact cpu"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    In before "Gentoo's not supposed to be faster until it's completely built for the exact cpu"
    A common misconception, its usually faster due to USE flags keeping your system down to what you use only.

    This can have the reverse effect also, with a Gentoo system being more bloated because the user has enabled every USE under the sun.

    Gentoo is always going to have the "ricer" reputation I suppose


    [In before http://funroll-loops.info/]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365

    Default

    In general, performance improvements due to CPU-specific compiler optimizations are minimal, if at all visible. (If you need good performance, there is no way around custom intrinsic/asm code.)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Yeah, but performance improvement due to, say, disabling Java in OpenOffice, or disabling PulseAudio systemwide is considerable.

    And you can't do this easily with a binary distro.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Yeah, but performance improvement due to, say, disabling Java in OpenOffice, or disabling PulseAudio systemwide is considerable.

    And you can't do this easily with a binary distro.
    Just got to mention that disabling pulse in some binary distros is fairly easy. One click in openSUSE in 11.2 or 11.3 for example is all it takes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Just got to mention that disabling pulse in some binary distros is fairly easy. One click in openSUSE in 11.2 or 11.3 for example is all it takes.
    Stop the deamon, yes, but all your apps still link against it and you can't remove it. In general, you have lots of libraries lying around that are not needed.

    Like people have pointed out, it doesn't usually hurt if you have enough memory but it is a bit annoying in some cases. You shouldn't HAVE TO install GStreamer if you don't intend to use it, for example. And GStreamer should not have to pull in gconf, which doesn't need to pull in all of gnome-base, which pulls in other stuff, and all of this gets loaded every time you start any X program.

    It's not a huge deal, true, but I don't need it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •