Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux 2.6.36 Kernel Will Have Some Fun DRM

Hybrid View

Default The Linux 2.6.36 Kernel Will Have Some Fun DRM

Phoronix: The Linux 2.6.36 Kernel Will Have Some Fun DRM

Now that the Linux 2.6.35 kernel was released a few days ago, Linus Torvalds has begun pulling in new code for the Linux 2.6.36 kernel as the various developers begin submitting pull requests of their new work. Dave Airlie, the maintainer of the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) code in the Linux kernel, overnight sent in his first Git pull request of his DRM tree. This pull request brings many new features for Intel, ATI, and NVIDIA/Nouveau graphics hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ3NQ

i wonder how much difference does hyperz make, in raw numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    i wonder how much difference does hyperz make, in raw numbers.
    Nothing major. At some point in the past, I disabled Hyper-Z in Windows using a tweak tool. It was with a Radeon 9800Pro. There was no difference in performance, at least when using 3DMark.

Default Intel GMA 4500MHD?

I really hope Intel will be on time (2010 Q3) with its 4500MHD full hardware H.264 support.

The ATI Radeon DRM driver changes are most prominent and include R600/700 tiling support, R300/500 Hyper-Z support, support for reading thermal sensors on most R600 ASICs, R600 kernel bit state emission minimization, ioport accessors for BIOS scripts, under-scan support for HDMI TVs, and RS690 HDMI audio support.
    Yay! Sounds good

Not pulled into mainline yet and due to build failures in the linux-next tree I can't check this stuff out from there.
    I'm gonna try myself and merge Dave's tree with my local mainline tree. Can't wait for Linus and it's an opportunity to learn something new.

Thumbs up R800/Evergreen

Great to see so many nice new features on the graphics front coming. BTW, is there any info available when we might start to see some support for AMD/ATI Radeon R800/Evergreen based hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
    Great to see so many nice new features on the graphics front coming. BTW, is there any info available when we might start to see some support for AMD/ATI Radeon R800/Evergreen based hardware?
    In this pull request I can see one commit from Alex Deucher:
    drm/radeon/kms: Add crtc tiling setup support for evergreen

You can check out the link below where you can see the current state of development for all AMD/ATI chipsets supported by kernel/Xorg. The table includes features based on kernel, DRI and MESA:
    X.Org Wiki - RadeonFeature

Quote Originally Posted by trapDoor View Post
    In this pull request I can see one commit from Alex Deucher:
    drm/radeon/kms: Add crtc tiling setup support for evergreen

You can check out the link below where you can see the current state of development for all AMD/ATI chipsets supported by kernel/Xorg. The table includes features based on kernel, DRI and MESA:
    X.Org Wiki - RadeonFeature
    Wow that list has come a long way in a very short time. Well done AMD and everyone else.

Why is it that Antialiasing is unknown?

Thumbs up Re: R800/Evergreen

Oh,great to hear kernel is mostly ready and userspace is progressing nicely and all. Thank you very much guys for the info and for all the work. Can't wait untill I can use and help test the open-source drivers on the laptop.