Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R800 linux

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    maybe you 'panix' is the second accound of kano ;-)

right now i'm here with the opensource driver because catalyst is a madhouse right now.. but i think 10-8 will be better (yes yes yes i'm a liar yes yes yes no comment please )

bridgman wrote in my threat about the R800 mesa 3d driver Q3 is the release date means next month.

and then the madhouse'catalyst' is obsoleted for R800 users.
    It sounds like it's best to just use the ATI/AMD website for the driver download but then you need all these tweaking and compiling? However, the binary driver isn't adequate anyway?

How's the open source driver (state) then with Evergreen cards? I guess you're restricted to a certain distro version, too?

And no, this isn't Kano. ;-) Kano's more specific with complaints?

P.S. The Nvidia Fermi have some more choices and the 460 is price competitive with 5770 and if some mid-grade cards get released, wanna bet they'll be supported and working before the Evergreen cards are optimized?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    It sounds like it's best to just use the ATI/AMD website for the driver download but then you need all these tweaking and compiling? However, the binary driver isn't adequate anyway?

How's the open source driver (state) then with Evergreen cards? I guess you're restricted to a certain distro version, too?

And no, this isn't Kano. ;-) Kano's more specific with complaints?

P.S. The Nvidia Fermi have some more choices and the 460 is price competitive with 5770 and if some mid-grade cards get released, wanna bet they'll be supported and working before the Evergreen cards are optimized?
    kano just waste his time by buying his blueray's

bridgman talk something about a release in august for the mesa r800 3D part.

what do you mean with tweaking and compiling??? in my point of view the catalyst isn't ready for ubuntu 10.10 right now.

but on 10.04 you can install it and use it yes there are known bugs i thik they try to fix this in 10-8

i really don't understand you in the nvidia point if you don't wana a amd card get an intel gpu thats much better than nvidia!

nvidia is just the lame-duck.

can any one tell me how to properly install the catalist driver without that out of range

because it is terible...i have the 2.6.35-14-generic kernel (withch i think it made my graphic probem even worse) and tell me how to fix it (i know how it should be installed :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
    can any one tell me how to properly install the catalist driver without that out of range

because it is terible...i have the 2.6.35-14-generic kernel (withch i think it made my graphic probem even worse) and tell me how to fix it (i know how it should be installed :P)
    2.6.35 ? do you use ubuntu 10.10 ?

catalyst do not support 10.10 anylonger because of xserver1.9

catalyst only can handle 1.8

What's the exact issue? It's unlikely that someone will be able to help if you don't specify it precisely...

If it does not compile, add "#include <linux/slab.h>" to the file that doesn't compile (I think it is kcl_wait.h).

You might indeed need to use the X server from Lucid if using Maverick.
    In that case, just add Lucid too to the apt sources, and either use "/lucid" on the apt-get command-line, or add package pins to /etc/apt/preferences.

Alternatively, use a supported released distribution.

Also try aticonfig --initial to setup a clean xorg.conf.

10.6 seems to work better than 10.7 (haven't tried the 10.7 update linked from the OpenCL SDK).

Ubuntu 10.4 and catalyst.

Wtf do I seriously have to do to get ubuntu to work with catalyst and my HD5850!

Tried everything. Repository drivers, install from ati site, third party repository..

It freezes and never loads to desktop with catalyst.

So tired of this garbage. I know the driver works on other distros PCLinuxOS ran fglrx fine. why? is ubuntu 10.4 not working? someone has to know..

sigh. waiting on open source driver to bring slow eventual 3D..

Quote Originally Posted by Jecos View Post
    Ubuntu 10.4 and catalyst.

Wtf do I seriously have to do to get ubuntu to work with catalyst and my HD5850!

Tried everything. Repository drivers, install from ati site, third party repository..

It freezes and never loads to desktop with catalyst.

So tired of this garbage. I know the driver works on other distros PCLinuxOS ran fglrx fine. why? is ubuntu 10.4 not working? someone has to know..

sigh. waiting on open source driver to bring slow eventual 3D..
    the 10.4 catalyst in ubuntu 10.04 is a little bit old for your card.

means you can't install the standart catalyst in the 10.04 repo

download catalyst 10-7 and install it in init3 on ubuntu 'grub save root boot'

there is a true chance to become 3d radeon support for r800 in mesa7.9 and maybe mesa 7.9 comes to ubuntu 10.10.

Quote Originally Posted by Agdr View Post
    What's the exact issue? It's unlikely that someone will be able to help if you don't specify it precisely...

If it does not compile, add "#include <linux/slab.h>" to the file that doesn't compile (I think it is kcl_wait.h).

You might indeed need to use the X server from Lucid if using Maverick.
    In that case, just add Lucid too to the apt sources, and either use "/lucid" on the apt-get command-line, or add package pins to /etc/apt/preferences.

Alternatively, use a supported released distribution.

Also try aticonfig --initial to setup a clean xorg.conf.

10.6 seems to work better than 10.7 (haven't tried the 10.7 update linked from the OpenCL SDK).
    i use 10.4 and i whant to use .sh

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the 10.4 catalyst in ubuntu 10.04 is a little bit old for your card.

means you can't install the standart catalyst in the 10.04 repo

download catalyst 10-7 and install it in init3 on ubuntu 'grub save root boot'

there is a true chance to become 3d radeon support for r800 in mesa7.9 and maybe mesa 7.9 comes to ubuntu 10.10.
    is there a mesa driver that supports at least the 2D part these days?

if there is

plz give me the git/hg repository to download it and install it (and tell me if there is something special that i should know when i compile this crap :S)

can anyone help me with installing the r800 driver for linux (i have a sapphire 5830 card) on ubuntu (lucid ofc)
    1. Go to System->Administration->Restricted drivers
    2. Click on the driver
    3. Click on the install button
    4. Reboot