Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R800 linux

Quote Originally Posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
    is there a mesa driver that supports at least the 2D part these days?
    Mesa is OpenGL. For 2D you need an Exa driver (some part of X.org).

i use 10.4 and i whant to use .sh
    Do you actually expect people to help you when you are apparently incapable of giving a useful problem description?

My god, I feel sorry for the guys over at launchpad who have to put up with this crap on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    1. Go to System->Administration->Restricted drivers
    2. Click on the driver
    3. Click on the install button
    4. Reboot
    not only that your restricted drivers isn't named that way (Hardware Drivers) + i tried that and it didn't work

because i will allways get a out of range monitor witch i cant fix

in case you know how to do it with command line plz tell me :S

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Do you actually expect people to help you when you are apparently incapable of giving a useful problem description?

My god, I feel sorry for the guys over at launchpad who have to put up with this crap on a daily basis.
    yea actualy that descripton sucks pretey bad :S :P

because i will allways get a out of range monitor witch i cant fix
    Try to explicitly specify the hsync and vsync ranges for your monitor in xorg.conf.
    The manual for the monitor may help, otherwise try random values until it works

Also, if the open-source driver works (which it should, if you try a recent kernel), the Xorg log will probably contain suitable information (either the correct ranges, a set of working values, or a working modeline).

The only thing that can fix your problem is time. Come back in 3 years and see. trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agdr View Post
    Uh? It works fine with the Catalyst driver, just install it.
    QFT, Radeon HD 5570 works well. I don't know about the 5830, though, but it should do just fine.
    Also the 5570 is being used with Debian Squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by racecar56 View Post
    QFT, Radeon HD 5570 works well. I don't know about the 5830, though, but it should do just fine.
    Also the 5570 is being used with Debian Squeeze.
    Works well, how? At what?

It's really confusing. Some card owners claim A and some claim B.

With the FGLRX / binary driver, I wish I could have a list or a diagram of what 'works' and what that means, explicitly.

For e.g., Gaming: then the what works/what doesn't ... native games, Windows games with Wine... etc. I think Phoronix has good articles for this so this doesn't confuse me too much.

My priority is video, 2D and 3D, though. The 'up-to-date' status for the Evergreen cards sounds like these areas are all problem areas throughout. Tearing occurs or video glitches with 2D. Having Compiz or using KDE makes things worse? These are all problems that seem to have occurred since Catalyst 10.6 since I recall reading similar complaints.

How come ATI neglects these problems to such degree? It can't be just concentration on workstations.

Workstation users buy bluray/dvd and play em in standalone players on a huge tv

Default 10.10 = Development, not General

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    2.6.35 ? do you use ubuntu 10.10 ?

catalyst do not support 10.10 anylonger because of xserver1.9

catalyst only can handle 1.8
    10.10 is a *development/testing* distribution at present (it's not even due until October 2010 at the earliest; the beta is not even a week old), which is why Catalyst 10.8 won't (and shouldn't) support it.

If you want closed-source driver support, then run 10.04.1 (which supports Catalyst back to 10.6 just fine); I won't run 10.10 *because* I have R8xx (Evergreen; Cedar in particular) and thus need the closed-source drivers.