Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
People complaining about driver problems tend to talk about more subtle problems than "performance".
Performance is nice but smooth and correct operation is more important to me so when I complain it's usually related to odd behaviour that I didn't observe with the blob.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
Most of the cases I have seen where performance is really bad are related to install issues more than fundamental driver problems, although I'm sure there are exceptions to that. If you install a new fglrx driver on top of an existing one without uninstalling the existing driver first you can get some really tough-to-debug problems.
Just as a common sense precaution which is backed up by your commonly provided advice to always un-install an old version before installing a new one that's what I've always done. I used to do this with the earlier nV blobs as well but got lazy and found it wasn't necessary there. Just to be sure when moving from 10.5 to 10.6, 7 and 8 I've done that. I'll be doing a fresh install and testing with that when 10.9 is rolled out which might coincide with Ubuntu 10.10.