Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10-7 force me to use the radeon driver because:

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    And all other systems run Win
    no zero windows system here ;-)

i'm not kano@vista ;-)

So Zero nvidia, Zero Windows, Zero fglrx only Linux in OSS driver?

Good, that is called reality denial syndrome.

You've advanced your level, congratulations.

Your next level will be like this:

As soon as you touched the first performance nvidia card, like a 9800GT, GTS 250, GTX 260/275/280/285, GTX 460 etc, you will be in a total shock of why you wasted so many years torturing yourself using ATI, and a total convert to nvidia lover you will become.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    Your next level will be like this:

As soon as you touched the first performance nvidia card, like a 9800GT, GTS 250, GTX 260/275/280/285, GTX 460 etc, you will be in a total shock of why you wasted so many years torturing yourself using ATI, and a total convert to nvidia lover you will become.
    my last nvidia was a 7900GT and this card was broken by "bump material" "NVIDIA DISASTER: thousands of GPUs faulty"

nvidia is just a failing company nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    So Zero nvidia, Zero Windows, Zero fglrx only Linux in OSS driver?

Good, that is called reality denial syndrome.

You've advanced your level, congratulations.
    What's wrong in only using open-source software? Last time I checked everyone has the right to choose what they want, even if it's something different from what YOU want.

I also used nvidia and ati graphics cards in the past and it's true that nvidia used to have the best binary-only drivers, but nowadays fglrx is way better than what it used to be. Once it gets proper video acceleration, the only advantage nvidia has in linux will be gone. A little competition is good for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    On ubuntu 10.10 64bit i have a mini/maximize LAG like non direct2D catalyst 10-5 versions in the 10-7 catalyst

and then i install the 32bit version and i get graphic corruptions if i scrol horizontal
    The lag can be caused by not having compiz enabled... Once you enable compiz. it actually gets fixed fairly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    this bug makes me crazy.. can't read the phornix forum in zoomed because i can't scrol without broke the view.
    yes also 10-7 catalyst.

so now i use the radeon driver and wow i can read the phoronix forum without any corruption and flash videos work very good overall i get peace. (yes yes r700 hd4670)

i really don't understand the 'catalyst' release Philosophy
    100 time more money compared to the radeon driver means bigger 'fire' and burn more money.
    well the catalyst 10-8 will come fast this month means the monkeys comes out of the madhouse a little earlier.
    You mention an radeon hd4670, And no other hardware information relative to the system. I know that some manufacturers have released agp versions of the hd2000 and up cards, which tend to cause a lot of bugs on linux. I also would like to recommend trying to put a proper bug report on the official unofficial bugzilla for the ati drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    What's wrong in only using open-source software? Last time I checked everyone has the right to choose what they want, even if it's something different from what YOU want.

I also used nvidia and ati graphics cards in the past and it's true that nvidia used to have the best binary-only drivers, but nowadays fglrx is way better than what it used to be. Once it gets proper video acceleration, the only advantage nvidia has in linux will be gone. A little competition is good for the end user.
    You're making it sound like the performance is very close. Another ATI owner is suggesting you might have a higher-grade ATI card and a lower grade Nvidia card yet the Nvidia card will outperform the ATI one in Linux. There's a discrepancy there so someone's claims isn't adding up.

Fglrx is better but there's still complaints of tearing. Someone is exaggerating the state of things since something just isn't adding up.

One customer might be satisfied with things and you have the option of using the open source driver in some cases. But, if you need features that only the binary driver can provide, you might not be a happy camper if your card cost $300.

You have two recent articles right here at phoronix that cover exactly that "higher-grade ATI card and a lower grade Nvidia card" issue, and it's not true.
    Take a look at the numbers in this article that shows the HD4850 performance:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...st_rv770&num=2

And now this article that shows GTS250M performance (but at a lower resolution):
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...256_slow&num=1

The GTS performs worse than the HD as is expected, not the other way around as some make it seem. You can also see in this other older article some different nvidia cards, and notice the 9800GT pumping out 55fps vs the 79fps of the HD4850 in nexuiz at max resolution:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...orce_240&num=6

The difference in performance is also consistent with what was expected.

BTW, I just noticed there isn't a single article comparing the performance of the proprietary nvidia and ati graphics drivers, or did I not search enough?

Trust me, fglrx has evolved A LOT in these last two years. I know what I'm talking about, since I tried to install it in a debian system years ago and it was impossible!!

OTOH, if you're talking about video playback performance, then yes, the nvidia driver is better, although some fglrx users have reported success in some ocasions. I don't watch that many videos on my computer so I don't really know a lot about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandel View Post
    The lag can be caused by not having compiz enabled... Once you enable compiz. it actually gets fixed fairly fast.
    really? i should test this again..

Quote Originally Posted by Dandel View Post
    You mention an radeon hd4670, And no other hardware information relative to the system. I know that some manufacturers have released agp versions of the hd2000 and up cards, which tend to cause a lot of bugs on linux. I also would like to recommend trying to put a proper bug report on the official unofficial bugzilla for the ati drivers.
    opteron 2218 on an nforce 3600 chipset based asus socket f board and the 4670 is PCIe based the system do have 8gb ram right now i use kubuntu 10.04

and my 2 bugs are known and checked by multiple sources in the beta programm.

you can watch an PTS profil of my system here: http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...23-27368-18559

Processor: 1 x AMD Engineering Sample 1 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 8218 @ 2.60GHz (Total Cores: 4)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK KFN5-D SLI
    Chipset: nVidia MCP55
    Memory: 8001MB
    Disk: 250GB HDS722525VLSA80 + 2 x 1000GB SAMSUNG HD103UJ
    Graphics: ATI RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]
    Audio: Realtek ALC880
    Monitor: JT269x6-1

Kernel: 2.6.35-9-generic (x86_64)
    Desktop: KDE 4.4.92
    Display Server: X.Org Server 1.8.1.902 (1.8.2 RC 2)
    Display Driver: radeon 6.13.1
    Compiler: GCC 4.4.4
    File-System: ext4
    Screen Resolution: 1920x1200