Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Open-Source 2D, 3D For ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    I think the last two major issues for getting on par with r6xx/r7xx are fixing mipmaps and stencil buffers.
    Speaking of stencil buffers, are there any news on this bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28363

Other than that, Doom3 works perfectly on r600c. It's surprisingly effective even without dynamic shadows, but you do need them for the full experience, though.

Just tried out the most recent code, and I'm running into a little corruption, most reproducably in the KDE game KNetwalk when you rotate a tile.

difficult to say what you're running into without a screenshot.

The kernel-patch from this bug solves some corruption issues. It hasn't been merges as of .36-rc4, so you'll need to apply it manually.

Ah, Christian (and Alex!), you're a lifesaver. The corruption was annoying in itself, but what I've not seen mentioned is that when corruption was occurring, crashes were proportionately more likely - usually bringing down X for me. Now, both corruption and crashes seem to be gone!

Excellent stuff, thanks a lot.

So is the classic driver looking to be merged into mainline Mesa before the 7.9 window closes?

As far as I know the merge window is already closed and the 5xxx driver is already merged.

Huh. Any idea how long ago that was? I CBFed figuring out of to build my own drivers so I've been taking advantage of the xorg-edgers repo, under the assumption that their Mesa 7.9-devel packages are up-to-date. I figured the new code hadn't been merged, since I'm still stuck with software rendering (and that insufferable aubergine stripe down the left side of my screen, that's been there since the initial modesetting support).

AFAIK it went straight into master the day the code was liberated by AMD. But you'll need a ddx from evergreen branch to allow for both 2D and 3D acceleration. And if you don't want any lockups and corruption you'll also need the just released kernel 2.6.36-rc5 at minimum.

Ahh, sod that, then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Great, I see the broken mipmap thing is now fixed.