Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Open-Source 2D, 3D For ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    The "rumours" were straight from phoronix, sounded like he quoted you:

But you have restored my faith, I'm sorry for wavering, and I'll repent by finishing that testcase I was working on

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29986
    i have the same information and bridgman himself force this as an order.

but i think this is an smart and good move a faster initial radeon driver support for new hardware turns it into a right way.

we lost 1 year of bugreporting for everGr800n cards just because the initial support take to long.

remember a opensource driver with bugs is more than no opensource driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    The "rumours" were straight from phoronix, sounded like he quoted you:

But you have restored my faith, I'm sorry for wavering, and I'll repent by finishing that testcase I was working on

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29986
    Michael did accurately represent what I said during our discussion.

That said, rather than "in a week or two" I guess a more complete statement (from me) would have been "until we get any obvious hardware programming issues resolved and reach the point where the remaining work does not require access to internal hardware information, which I expect to be in a week or two, but which could be longer or shorter depending on the issues we find after initial release".

I was definitely expecting a week or two of post-release gotcha-fixing, but there was a bigger difference between what users saw and what we saw internally than we had seen on previous initial code drops.

EDIT - just noticed that the initial release was only 13 days ago, so maybe "a week or two" will still turn out to be an OK guess

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    remember a opensource driver with bugs is more than no opensource driver.
    That's a good one. I'll throw it right back at you later this month when you're having problems again with the latest catalyst release.

It doesn't matter if the driver isn't working for you, just remember a non working driver is better than no driver at all!

You do have to give him points for "everGr800n" though

BTW latest status is that the current problems appear to be understood and Alex has started working on a set of patches. Current thinking is that mesa, ddx and drm will all need to be touched although the changes are pretty small. Check back tomorrow and hopefully there will be patches available.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    BTW latest status is that the current problems appear to be understood and Alex has started working on a set of patches. Current thinking is that mesa, ddx and drm will all need to be touched although the changes are pretty small. Check back tomorrow and hopefully there will be patches available.
    Awesome, Bridgman ^^, (and others)

The GPU lockups appear to be fixed. Grab the latest mesa and ddx code from git and make sure you have this drm patch:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/003531.html

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Awesome, Bridgman ^^, (and others)
    Hey, I just sit in the big chair and read what they put in front of me

Thanks go to to agd5f for digging through multiple layers of "the problem seems to be XYZ but that doesn't make sense" investigation to find the underlying problems, monraaf for pointing out the "run fglrx first" workaround (which gave agd5f a starting point), the other folks here who posted about their experiences with the code, and the internal AMD folks (HW and SW teams) who helped agd5f understand what else had changed in the hardware.

Awesome, Monraaf and Agd5f ^^, (and others)

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    That's a good one. I'll throw it right back at you later this month when you're having problems again with the latest catalyst release.

It doesn't matter if the driver isn't working for you, just remember a non working driver is better than no driver at all!
    nice try but... catalyst 10.8 gives me 100% of what i need.

my card do not support openGL4.1 in general so i don'T worry about openGL4.1 in catalyst 10.10

so why should i care abour catalyst 10.9??? 10.8 gives me all i need.

and yes its still true a buged driver is still more than no driver.

and an buged opensource driver can be fixed by humans!