Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    I'd like to know this too, I'd be surprised if it didn't.
    The series that pre-dates the current 400 series worked very well.

I'd prefer a lower-end part like the GS420, as it's VA is likely to be just a good.
    But apparently it's only available to OEM's etc.
    In general, GTS and GS series are castrated and pretty low-end. Contrary to the common myth, especially on the mobile side (MXM), you can get NVIDIA Fermi chips at lower prices than an AMD Evergreen part, for the same performance, and even less power consumption. I was the first surprised by that, and I am not talking about 5% marginal difference...

Quote Originally Posted by IsawSparks View Post
    I'm not talking about a survey which is likely to be skewed based on ATI users coming here to talk to you, but rather the Phoronix Test Suite database. I can't find the link right but I'm sure it showed that fglrx outshone FLOSS ATI driver(s) by almost 2:1. It was in an article here on Phoronix and has been used in quite a few discussions.
    i only have catalyst results in the pts database but right now i use the radeon driver...

and in the survey i vote for catalyst to....

so your fokusing on benchmark results are not very clever because this kind of people only use catalyst to be the "fastest" in the benchmarks...

in daily use it makes no sence to me do benchmarks all the time...

i know a lot of linux users and a lot of them just surfing in the web and watch videos and play music and this kind of people use radeon and this people are much more than the geeks using more than that.

if the radeon driver gets shader based video acceleration and opencl support the catalyst will lose more marketshare be sure !

yes you read it right openCL+vid acceleration no need for openGL3/4 .....

in my point of view modern graphic raytracing engines are writen in openCL and modern physic engines are writen in openCL programms like GIMP will be acceleratet by openCL

there is no fucking need for openGL at all in an modern world.

how cares about tesselation if you can have an openCL accelerated blender raytracing engine also used in an blender game engine...

openGL upper than 2.1 ogl3+4 is just death no game use it no one need it clever and smart humans don't want it because they know openCL is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    openGL upper than 2.1 ogl3+4 is just death no game use it no one need it clever and smart humans don't want it because they know openCL is the best.
    Unigine's Oil Rush game requires GL3 minimum. It's true that most of GL3 and 4 is just gravy on top of GL2, but you could say the same thing about DX10/11 versus DX9 on Windows. Sure, you can still write impressive DX9 software, but the more modern features are being used more and more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    so your fokusing on benchmark results are not very clever because this kind of people only use catalyst to be the "fastest" in the benchmarks...
    fglrx is not only the fastest, but also the most featurish. Though, those features are poorly supported.

in daily use it makes no sence to me do benchmarks all the time...

i know a lot of linux users and a lot of them just surfing in the web and watch videos and play music and this kind of people use radeon and this people are much more than the geeks using more than that.
    Pretty sure.

if the radeon driver gets shader based video acceleration and opencl support the catalyst will lose more marketshare be sure !
    "If", this doesn't mean in a timely manner, neither with the same level of performance and functionality. Current OpenCL implementations are rather poor, both on the NVIDIA and ATI side. Some things are still better implemented in either CAL or CUDA. What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Unigine's Oil Rush game requires GL3 minimum. It's true that most of GL3 and 4 is just gravy on top of GL2, but you could say the same thing about DX10/11 versus DX9 on Windows. Sure, you can still write impressive DX9 software, but the more modern features are being used more and more often.
    how cares about Oil rush ?????? what does this Oil rush marketshare have? 0 % of all Strategie games ?

play ta-spring its opensource and if you play the right map and mod its an nice graphic to.

spring do have OGL 3 effects to like VTF and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by junesby22 View Post
    subject to a hard but successful. + rep
    ^ Nice one spammer p00... die...