Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 146

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Got my 460 last week and i have to say this is the best experience i have had with linux in a long time, my previous experience with ATI cards have been terrible. Now with nvidia everything just works and the performance is great.

    Open drivers or not, nvidia's drivers are awesome compared to the ones ATI have delivered.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    You did not specify, you said:

    I never said there wasn't successful opensource companies. You are however trumping up companies that have been successful by their closed source solutions. Unlike you calling me one.
    Oooohhh I mean software patents ofcourseI That's what we are talking about here deanjo! I even said "So copyright in general and software patents are one and the same?". Well if you want to play instead of clarify the conversation just forget it...

    So nVidia has not contibuted to open standards as well? Have they not also got projects such as vdpau which EVERYONE is free to implement in their drivers?
    What Nvidia has to do now? I didn't even use them as an example. Anyway, I appreciate that libvdpau is free as I don't appreciate that other projects are not. Your point?
    But I don't understand. Who said that Free software is some kind of godlike forgiveness and if someone writes 1 free line of code and 1000 proprietary then he should get an award from FSF?

    Last time I checked that executable was free.
    Nice and good but again I didn't even mentioned them.

    So your in it for your own greedy purposes. Ya that sounds real community like.
    You said everyone. If your everyone separate people and doesn't include me then I'll pass. Just the next time try to be more elucidatory...

    You didn't write the changes so the changes are not yours to begin with.
    Heh the very reason of the existence of the proprietary licenses eh? Hehehe I see...

    In a PD situation my code is still free.
    In a GPL situation my code plus the derivatives are free as well. Even better result.

    SQLite proves you wrong. The PD model does work and has done so for decades.
    One example of PD is enough to prove while GPL will need some thousands to do so huh?

    In theory, you could have opensource code written the same way. Your point?
    Obviously you do! I just say that you just can not compare capitalism with faschism because are totally different things is the same as if you say "thing A is better than thing B because A is red and B is soft..." completely irrelevant things!

    Refer back to this post for parallels.

    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=72
    Still can not find similarities. Not at all...

    No I didn't dammit, although I did point out point out parallels but it you that is calling yourself one because you fall into those parallels.
    So despite the opensource crowd is inlined to faschim and has a lot of similarities, they are not faschists at all... whatever...

    In fact the only person that has called another a fascist is you.
    Yup I didn't deny it and I explained why. Just if free software advocates has a lot of similarities with fashcism then the proprietary advocates are simply the epitome of faschism.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post

    What Nvidia has to do now? I didn't even use them as an example. Anyway, I appreciate that libvdpau is free as I don't appreciate that other projects are not. Your point?
    But I don't understand. Who said that Free software is some kind of godlike forgiveness and if someone writes 1 free line of code and 1000 proprietary then he should get an award from FSF?

    Nice and good but again I didn't even mentioned them.
    LMFAO, maybe you should read the forum title then.

    You said everyone. If your everyone separate people and doesn't include me then I'll pass. Just the next time try to be more elucidatory...
    LMFAO again, everyone INCLUDES people of different views and application. There is no such thing as a selective everyone.

    Heh the very reason of the existence of the proprietary licenses eh? Hehehe I see...
    That is just one of the many reasons for a proprietary license. But hey FSF even wants the copyright as well no matter who wrote it.

    In a GPL situation my code plus the derivatives are free as well. Even better result.
    In your code you practice limited freedom to those who must follow your dogma.


    One example of PD is enough to prove while GPL will need some thousands to do so huh?
    LMFAO, that is just one example with many many many more examples. Hell the net developed off a PD effort, CERN HTTPd, then there are other examples such as qmail, djbdns, dlmalloc, etc etc etc.

    Obviously you do! I just say that you just can not compare capitalism with faschism because are totally different things is the same as if you say "thing A is better than thing B because A is red and B is soft..." completely irrelevant things!
    LMFAO again, can't compare capitalism and fascism? Fascism is being used a disambiguation or did nVidia all of a sudden become a political movement?

    Still can not find similarities. Not at all...
    Then your kool-aid has already kicked in pretty hard I guess.

    So despite the opensource crowd is inlined to faschim and has a lot of similarities, they are not faschists at all... whatever...
    This might surprise you but every ideology overlaps with others. Some very minutely and others to a greater extent.

    Yup I didn't deny it and I explained why.
    And very wrong.

    Just if free software advocates has a lot of similarities with fashcism then the proprietary advocates are simply the epitome of faschism.
    Proprietary is hardly the epitome of fascism. It's quite the opposite as proprietary respects the rights of the creator on their individual basis. This goes against the very basis of fascism.

    BTW please note the correct spelling of fascism.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    LMFAO, think you should look up what fascism is before using such a big word. You've got it ass end backwards. But hey, I suppose that's the view they teach with being served in confined in AMDchwitz.
    ok ok nvidia isn't a nazi nvidia just Arse holes. big fat arse holes.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Yeah the "fachistic ways of the opensource crowd" is just a cute title...
    I'm sorry bridgman but even for a greek my english aren't that bad.
    if you are greek and you talk about in greek there are no software patents then you are wrong.

    thats because greek is in the EU and greek is forced by the EU patent Law

    and germany is also in the EU and forced in the EU patent law

    and microsoft win about Fat Software patents the highest german curt

    thats because the EU Patent LAW allows software patent if the patent is bind to physicaly hardware so Fat32 patent is bind to harddrives so the software patent is valid.

    we are talking graphic cards here and deanjo points out that a opensource graphic driver is forced by software patents also in EU germany and GREEK thats because Patents like S3 Texture Compression S3TC are bind to hardware Graphic Cards.

    VIA will win against you in GREEK if you hurt there S3TC patent because of the EU Patent law.

    you just dreaming about software patent free world just dreaming.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    In fact the only person that has called another a fascist is you.
    he really likes you ;-)

    personal Attack isn't the finest way ...

    i think real fascists hates the internet because the internet save the freedome of speeach for everyone and fascists do not want this.

    so in that point of view i call the german BRD Goverment fascists because they hurt the freedome of speech of nazis its again the law in german to speech nazi Propaganda.

    so the good anti nazi BRD german goverment are fascists to just because they try to stop fascists probaganda by makes this against the law and hurt the freedome of speech of 'Nazis'

    so the BRD(modern german) is just the biggtest fascist nation over the world.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Banning nazis may be good sometimes. As recently with Russian Youtube page - nazi put a LOT of provoking videos on youtube, youtube refused to take them down and got massively firewalled. "For igniting hate between nations". Will hold most of stupid schoolars from the threat.

    -----
    On the topic, I think its way better to write 1 line of GPLed code than 100 (or so) of flame/troll wars. Srsly.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    My opinion on 4xx - they are nice cards. Especially 460, very affordable.

    But zero opensource, nvidia pushing its cuda and physx all over the place, cutting card capabilities (extra price for this) just to make a lower segment card(less value).

    No, AMD. Only AMD. Sorry, no opensource - no buy.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Banning nazis may be good sometimes. As recently with Russian Youtube page - nazi put a LOT of provoking videos on youtube, youtube refused to take them down and got massively firewalled. "For igniting hate between nations". Will hold most of stupid schoolars from the threat.
    That's politics. I'm not sure you can explain with such analogies. All that happened when there was talk about analogies with fascism previously in this thread was eventual mudslinging.

    It's ironic, though, how we combat fascism with fascism, though. Just an observation.

    When it comes to Nvidia with freedom, it's all about money so whether you want to use analogies or not, it's about profits and greed, imho. Very few companies are exempt or don't pursue this concept since it seems to be human nature. If there was some benefit to expand the open source side, they would, I think. But, for whatever reason, it's not policy. My useless two cents...

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    That's politics. I'm not sure you can explain with such analogies. All that happened when there was talk about analogies with fascism previously in this thread was eventual mudslinging.

    It's ironic, though, how we combat fascism with fascism, though. Just an observation.

    When it comes to Nvidia with freedom, it's all about money so whether you want to use analogies or not, it's about profits and greed, imho. Very few companies are exempt or don't pursue this concept since it seems to be human nature. If there was some benefit to expand the open source side, they would, I think. But, for whatever reason, it's not policy. My useless two cents...
    So, what do you think, would you "donate" 10% of price of your gfx card, when you buy it, so AMD team gets more financies? Register the card as primary used in linux? I think thats the only thing that may roll.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •