Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Zfs for mainstream linux finally!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066#comment-251093 The patents are now held by Oracle and unless Oracle gives another announcement, nothing has changed as far as Linux kernel is considered. If you have a GPL implementation and implemented the patented things without Oracle's permission, they can and probably will sue you.
    It sounds like this is a continuation of this work:
    http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki

    They get around the CDDL problem by not distributing ZFS in the kernel. You have to download and build the kernel module separately. Their modifications to ZFS remain under the CDDL licence.

    They mention that KQ Infotech are working on the ZFS posix layer here:
    http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki/Example-ZPL

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jyxent View Post
    It sounds like this is a continuation of this work:
    http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki

    They get around the CDDL problem by not distributing ZFS in the kernel. You have to download and build the kernel module separately. Their modifications to ZFS remain under the CDDL licence.

    They mention that KQ Infotech are working on the ZFS posix layer here:
    http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki/Example-ZPL
    As a Debian user, I can see why ZFS is not in mainline Debian due to the restrictions of the CDDL and the fact that Oracle/Sun own the patents. As no one knows how oracle will react when people are putting out implementations of ZFS, it is best to tread carefully with this one.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    . As no one knows how oracle will react when people are putting out implementations of ZFS, it is best to tread carefully with this one.
    My guess is they will react as well as they did with Google's Java implementation.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jyxent View Post
    They get around the CDDL problem by not distributing ZFS in the kernel. You have to download and build the kernel module separately. Their modifications to ZFS remain under the CDDL licence.
    Right, if it is based on the CDDL-licensed ZFS and is also licensed under CDDL, probably somewhat safe. As much as you can rely on CDDL anyhow. Wouldn't personally use it without relying on a personal/company lawyer.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    "But we believe the way to get around this issue is to build ZFS as a module with a CDDL license, it can still be loaded in the Linux kernel. Though it would be restricted to use the non- GPL symbols, but as long as that rule is adhered to there is no problem of legal issues." Yes, this is a theory that the proprietary drivers are based on too. Afaik it has never been tested in court though.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    642

    Default

    @Michael:

    any news on this ?

    did you get a patch ?

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    @Michael:

    any news on this ?

    did you get a patch ?
    They want a telephone call with the people before they send over patches. Hoping they'll call me this morning so I can get on to trying it out.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The licensing concerns should not be problem because there is a precedence to this and Oracle is already aware of it. The port from LLNL is under US government grant and has been validated by their lawyers. Obviously at first sight it seems like there is problem with the CDDL/GPL issue but as is clearly demonstrated by the port by LLNL and validated by their lawyers porting it as a kernel module is not a problem.

    see http://www.osnews.com/story/23416/Na...Port_for_Linux

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darshin View Post
    The licensing concerns should not be problem because there is a precedence to this and Oracle is already aware of it. The port from LLNL is under US government grant and has been validated by their lawyers. Obviously at first sight it seems like there is problem with the CDDL/GPL issue but as is clearly demonstrated by the port by LLNL and validated by their lawyers porting it as a kernel module is not a problem.

    see http://www.osnews.com/story/23416/Na...Port_for_Linux
    so you guys did the rest (other part) of the porting ?

    @Michael:

    how is it going with native ZFS ?

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    @Michael:

    how is it going with native ZFS ?
    Still waiting...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •