Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: AMD to Demo Fusion APUs at IFA Berlin, in September

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    77

    Default AMD to Demo Fusion APUs at IFA Berlin, in September

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-t...r-153495.shtml

    Since Advanced Micro Devices keeps saying how it will soon unleash the Fusion platform, market watchers have been keeping an eye out for any news on the subject, and it seems that the company will finally make a demo of Fusion at IFA, the show set to occur in Berlin, Germany, between September 3 and 8.
    So that means we are going to see a lot of development on the Gallium3D R600g driver soon because of the number of servers that will be using this APU.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Just a minor point - the article suggests that this is the first Fusion demo ("will finally make a demo"), but the first two Fusion parts (Ontario and Llano) were already demonstrated at Computex back in early June :

    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/06/...on-demo-video/

    Alex (agd5f) is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Bobcat-based part (Ontario) now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughing1 View Post
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-t...r-153495.shtml



    So that means we are going to see a lot of development on the Gallium3D R600g driver soon because of the number of servers that will be using this APU.
    bridgman and team allready work on r900 stuff.

    they chance the plan from push r600/r700/r800 to Gallium to jump directly into the Fusion and r900 work.

    this also means R600/R700/R800 is now in the hand of redhat and the awesome marek.

    and the good point is the chances for the fusion apu is not so big so we will have an opensource driver very fast.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Alex (agd5f) is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Bobcat-based part (Ontario) now.
    and the rest of your team work on r900 stuff ;-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Alex (agd5f) is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Bobcat-based part (Ontario) now.
    Hmm okay. Then who is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Evergreen parts? Because right now it's not really working.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Hmm okay. Then who is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Evergreen parts? Because right now it's not really working.

    "Then who is working on [...]Evergreen"

    redhat and the awesome marek.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Hmm okay. Then who is working on getting the open source driver stack working with the Evergreen parts? Because right now it's not really working.
    What problems are you seeing ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I've tried it on my 5850 (both the evergreen_accel branch of radeon and the latest mesa), and X (1.7.7-r1) does run with it. I get all right noises in the xorg log file and glxinfo, too, which is encouraging.

    However, in terms of actual performance, I get:
    - Corrupted cursor, always
    - Full-screen corruption of essentially all desktop elements, in a way which change as I things move around. Really bad corruption, this is. Text is effectively unreadable wherever it is on the screen.
    - Random crashes of both X and entire system
    - Didn't try videos

    I tried enlightenment E17 and KDE-4.4.5, both with openGL compositing and XRender. One thing I can say is that while corruption is severe with both, it is much worse with XRender.

    A random thing is that once I'd run X with hardware acceleration and had all the corruption, switching back to software rendering didn't get rid of it. It needed a reboot to sort it out.

    Is this what other people are getting?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    There are known GPU hangs when running 2D and 3D together - agd5f and Richard are both looking into those. AFAIK they also happen when using just 2D or just 3D but *much* less frequently. Probably would be a good idea to turn off compositing until the GPU hangs are figured out.

    Not sure if the devs are seeing the same degree of corruption on their systems (at least I don't remember seeing or hearing about it); what are others seeing ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    What problems are you seeing ?
    I've written about my experience here (all of those were confirmed by others in the thread) and updated it today here.

    the good news is that I had zero system freezes or X crashes today, but it's still far away from a working system.


    I did ask which of those I should turn into detailed bug reports, but received no answer. If you claim not to know about those problems, the answer would be "all of them", right?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •