Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD to Demo Fusion APUs at IFA Berlin, in September

Not much to add, but I've tried it today with xorg-server 1.8.2 and it seems to crash more than with 1.7.7. Unless I add the "RenderAccel" "off" option I can't even get X to start up with either KDE or E.

Once in, doing anything 3D at all (glxgears or turning on compositing) results in an immediate hang of X every time. Cursor still moves, but can't light the capslock or do anything.

Default Evergreen problems

I was planning to do a detailed writeup, but I see others have beaten me to it One other thing that I'm noticing is that if I cold boot I see an almost immediate GPU lockup at the GDM login screen. It seems that I have to run fglrx first to set the GPU to a sane state before I can use any of the open source acceleration stuff.

OK, that seems like a useful clue. Do you still get hangs eventually when running the open drivers after fglrx ?

Which GPU are you using ?

EDIT - I guess we should move this to the HD5000 open source driver thread for now

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    There are known GPU hangs when running 2D and 3D together - agd5f and Richard are both looking into those. AFAIK they also happen when using just 2D or just 3D but *much* less frequently. Probably would be a good idea to turn off compositing until the GPU hangs are figured out.

Not sure if the devs are seeing the same degree of corruption on their systems (at least I don't remember seeing or hearing about it); what are others seeing ?
    I can echo Wingfeather's problems, except on a HD5970, using the latest linux-next kernel (alternately I tried airlied's drm-radeon-testing and drm-fixes) and evergreen_accel. OTOH I am running everything from master, including xserver, libs, and proto. Definitely seeing pointer corruption unless Option "RenderAccel" is set to "off", and random crashes whether compositing is enabled or not. I can also reliably crash X by minimizing a window with metacity or compiz compositing, although with Kwin compositing set to always keep thumbnails, that doesn't happen. Tried a full factorial of the radeon DDX's options, and only RenderAccel off improved things at all. "EXAVSync" "on" causes X to crash on startup.