Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Hybrid View

Default Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.2 Updates Gecko, Other Changes

Two weeks have passed since Wine 1.3.1 was released, so Wine 1.3.2 has been pushed out this Friday afternoon. Though there isn't too much to get excited about in the Wine 1.3.2 release with there only being a few noteworthy changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU2Nw

Windows' marketshare is greatly declining and most apps have replacements. Games however have not. Direct3D 11 is fancy, but I think solid legacy (XP and previous) should be a lot more solid so Wine can act as a Dosbox for Windows games for Mac and Linux converts. The Windows days _are_ numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Windows' marketshare is greatly declining and most apps have replacements. Games however have not. Direct3D 11 is fancy, but I think solid legacy (XP and previous) should be a lot more solid so Wine can act as a Dosbox for Windows games for Mac and Linux converts. The Windows days _are_ numbered.
    Wow is that one hell of a optimistic opinion, especially after all the years OS X, linux, BSD, etc has been out it still dominates with over 90% of the marketshare. At the current pace of market adoption it would take well over 50 years to even come close to reaching 50%.

If you consider cell phones, routers and servers, Windows is by no means dominate. x86 is not dominate either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    If you consider cell phones, routers and servers, Windows is by no means dominate. x86 is not dominate either.
    True, but then again a lot of those devices are not GNU/Linux either.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Wow is that one hell of a optimistic opinion, especially after all the years OS X, linux, BSD, etc has been out it still dominates with over 90% of the marketshare. At the current pace of market adoption it would take well over 50 years to even come close to reaching 50%.
    Java becomes a restricted platform. Mac becomes dominant and Microsoft becomes the underdog. That's the plan from the powers that be. May work out that way may not. Apple is the most hft pumped stock in the world and has more money shoved down it's gullet than a pelican in a fish rain storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
    Java becomes a restricted platform. Mac becomes dominant and Microsoft becomes the underdog. That's the plan from the powers that be. May work out that way may not. Apple is the most hft pumped stock in the world and has more money shoved down it's gullet than a pelican in a fish rain storm.
    I seriously hope not. If you've paid any attention to what Apple has been doing, they're plenty more evil than Microsoft. At least Microsoft never forbid you from software developing on their platforms without actually owning one. Apple does.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I seriously hope not. If you've paid any attention to what Apple has been doing, they're plenty more evil than Microsoft. At least Microsoft never forbid you from software developing on their platforms without actually owning one. Apple does.
    I didn't say it would work. I just said that's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I very much doubt windows have over 90% in desktops. During the last seven months I work as IT manager in a 5 stars Hotel. Every day and I mean EVERY day I run a scan in my wi-fi network to see what's going on. Always the mac users is the majority (including iphones and ipads) and all these in Greece which was not an Apple stronghold. Okay if we count and the company's PCs then windows outperform Apple, but if you note the stats of the guests only then there is no way to conclude that windows has a part of 90%.
    That's unfortunate ofcourse -FOR ME- since -I- consider that for Apple there is not reason of existence but the truth is that windows keeps declining and declining in a large scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    I very much doubt windows have over 90% in desktops. During the last seven months I work as IT manager in a 5 stars Hotel. Every day and I mean EVERY day I run a scan in my wi-fi network to see what's going on. Always the mac users is the majority (including iphones and ipads) and all these in Greece which was not an Apple stronghold. Okay if we count and the company's PCs then windows outperform Apple, but if you note the stats of the guests only then there is no way to conclude that windows has a part of 90%.
    That's unfortunate ofcourse -FOR ME- since -I- consider that for Apple there is not reason of existence but the truth is that windows keeps declining and declining in a large scale.
    OK so you work in a 5 star hotel which more then likely serves a far more generous percentage of Apple target clientel. That isn't surprising. That is by no means an accurate portrayal of the market. I could just as easily quote the local universities numbers where Windows accounts for 97% including student machines . Then there is also the attached research facility where linux should have an even greater presence but even there the percentage is 96%. Then there is our companies client stats which gets nightly statistics from our clients (15,872 connected machines) from everything from daily transactions, number of users, network status, crashlogs, etc and out of all those machines there is exactly 13 Macs (running Parallels) and not one linux desktop (there are however 30 linux servers). That's a whopping 99.98% of them being windows machines. That number has dropped a whopping .02% in 25 years of statistical gathering.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201009
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8

Also keep in mind that linux numbers are probably inflated a bit due to the fact that it is commonly used on net enabled devices where windows is primarily used on desktop systems.