Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Open-Source GPU Drivers Causing Headaches In KDE 4.5

Hybrid View

Default Open-Source GPU Drivers Causing Headaches In KDE 4.5

Phoronix: Open-Source GPU Drivers Causing Headaches In KDE 4.5

Martin Grä�lin, the KDE developer known for working on KWin and working on advanced features like OpenGL 3.x compositing in KDE 4.7, has written a new blog post in which he details some of the driver issues currently being experienced by some users of the recently released KDE 4.5 desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU3MA

What can they do? They gotta build the whole house and fix what's broken. I think everyone is expecting decent working 2.1 support at end of year releases. And I don't think everyone is expecting 3.0 and 4.0 to work perfectly till next end of year releases.
    Die shrinking is slowed to a crawl so 4.0 is end of the line for many many years. But still best get there as quick as possible as it will be selling cards for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
    Die shrinking is slowed to a crawl so 4.0 is end of the line for many many years. But still best get there as quick as possible as it will be selling cards for quite some time.
    law: "Performance of computers is increased by 100% each three years"

Look it up, it has applied since the very beginning up until now. I remember people thinking the same in the P4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    law: "Performance of computers is increased by 100% each three years"

Look it up, it has applied since the very beginning up until now. I remember people thinking the same in the P4 days.
    No this is not a law.

The law is that the size of transistor gates halves every 18 months appro.

Double the amount of transistors doesn't equal double the performance though.

And performance of a computer system as a whole is the synergy of cpu,gpu,bandwidth, storage devices,ram performance improvements...

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    No this is not a law.

The law is that the size of transistor gates halves every 18 months appro.

Double the amount of transistors doesn't equal double the performance though.

And performance of a computer system as a whole is the synergy of cpu,gpu,bandwidth, storage devices,ram performance improvements...
    Never heard of that one before. I heard the one I mentioned from someone else and checking that one seems to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Never heard of that one before. I heard the one I mentioned from someone else and checking that one seems to be accurate.
    It is called Moore's law and it is famous among computer scientists.

So if we are to compare kwin with say something like gnome-shell as equals, granted the g-s developers are probably being funded to work on this more, but still I get regular reports from the g-s devs in RH on what drivers do and don't work and what features are slow and missing, and we try and target Fedora releases to make sure that the g-s bits work on the shipping drivers.

The g-s guys understand the ecosystem they are working in, and work with it. The kwin guys seem to take 0 interest in working with a community. I've gotten driver patches from g-s guys, and never any contact from a kwin developer. Granted RH also would prefer that I make g-s work so it gets a higher priority than kwin or games.

The thing is if kwin wants to be a Linux desktop it needs to run on top of Linux, not some ideal of what Linux should be if we had 50 more developers writing graphics drivers. Its called reality and generally living in it makes for a better quality of product.

Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    So if we are to compare kwin with say something like gnome-shell as equals
    That's not quite right.

Gnome-shell includes the functionality from both Kwin and Plasma.

If Kwin developers are not checking for open drivers compatibility, then it's rather unfortunate. But they've done the same thing to the binary nvidia drivers when these were broken, so I don't think that it's a slight against the Mesa developers.

So if we are to compare kwin with say something like gnome-shell as equals, granted the g-s developers are probably being funded to work on this more,
    I believe kwin devs are funded more than gnome's, indirectly. KDE is mostly being developed by Nokia employees, and they develop KDE in order to showcase their Qt toolkit...

1. Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
      So if we are to compare kwin with say something like gnome-shell as equals, granted the g-s developers are probably being funded to work on this more, but still I get regular reports from the g-s devs in RH on what drivers do and don't work and what features are slow and missing, and we try and target Fedora releases to make sure that the g-s bits work on the shipping drivers.

The g-s guys understand the ecosystem they are working in, and work with it. The kwin guys seem to take 0 interest in working with a community. I've gotten driver patches from g-s guys, and never any contact from a kwin developer. Granted RH also would prefer that I make g-s work so it gets a higher priority than kwin or games.

The thing is if kwin wants to be a Linux desktop it needs to run on top of Linux, not some ideal of what Linux should be if we had 50 more developers writing graphics drivers. Its called reality and generally living in it makes for a better quality of product.
    I know GS is encouraging people to try GS on as many platforms as possible. Part of this is performance, but I have to imagine that it is also partly due to a desire to actually verify that GS can run on many different platforms.
    http://shell-perf.gnome.org/systems
    The goal a is usable WM/environment that can be run on pretty much any hardware built since, IIRC, 2005, and that is also modern.
    As others have said, I don't really see the point in only offering these effects that just don't work with so many open drivers.

Best/Liam