Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy 3rd Birthday To AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Default Happy 3rd Birthday To AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Phoronix: Happy 3rd Birthday To AMD's Open-Source Strategy

It was three years ago on this day that we were the first to detail AMD's open-source strategy. Yep, it's only been three years since AMD became public with pushing out NDA-free GPU documentation and register specifications, open-source code for the xf86-video-ati and Mesa drivers, and employed a small set of developers to contribute towards their open-source Linux stack. It was also three years ago from this month that the now deceased RadeonHD driver was launched...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU3MQ

I am wondering if there's any part of the internet and beyond that Michael is not keeping track of

Well happy 3rd open source documentation strategy birthday, AMD

I'd say that's a good time to say

THANK YOU AMD and EVERYBODY who was involved in the development of the open source drivers for the ATI/Radeon hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I am wondering if there's any part of the internet and beyond that Michael is not keeping track of
    Keeping track of such "holidays" provides me with more reasons to celebrate - like to have an extra Bavarian beer today while still working, even though today is a silly US holiday.

3 years... time to improve it: earlier publication of hardware programming manual/code. Indeed we got evergreen usable stuff just a few months before the release of the next gpu generation and a year after the release of evergreen.

Thank you AMD and keep it up! Hope it grows even stronger in the future.

Thanks for releasing the code. And thanks to the people working on the drivers.

I have seen the progress they made for my RV740 chip, from not beeing able to properly render 2d images on the desktop to a full blown opengl composite desktop...

BUT 3 years and I still cannot play Eve Online on my Linux box, using the driver

Thanks AMD!!!

You didn't choose the simplest path, but you chose the right one, for both your customers and your company's future.

[...happily running 3d apps on my R780 right now, using the free driver...]

You earned my purchase with this open-source strategy, and all the subsequent purchases I will make in the near future.

I'm not the only one. Thanks for doing things the right way.

Only three years? It seems longer, considering how much has been accomplished already.