Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy 3rd Birthday To AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Thank you AMD and thank you Michael!

yeah, that opensource strategy was a really big reason to buy a 3870 and later a 5770.

Happiness .

Thank you ATI/AMD for the awesome oss driver. I will look forward to r600 galium3d support.

It's so easy to make AMD/ATI users happy. Announce something that will need >1 year to be usefull

Awwweeeeesome! Congratulations!

I'm sad that I lack time and even more the money to travel to Toulouse (OMG it's nearly in Spain) so I can't thank these brave devs and initiators personally.
    Michael, please bring some photos from there an tell them they have lots of fans in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    It's so easy to make AMD/ATI users happy. Announce something that will need >1 year to be usefull
    We've been waiting 10x longer than that for useful Open Source Nvidia drivers.

When you think of nouveau yes. It is needed for older cards now. But nouveau is still not perfect - maybe even more buggy than radeon. Sometimes only vga output works with it. I think i will have to include at least nv binary drivers for the newest chips as fallback because of nouveau problems - when vesa would be used it would work maybe too... The most problematic case for ati are agp cards with newer chips, the problematic case for nouveau are onboard vga and newer cards which are only partly supported. But you should not forget one major diff: it IS possible to unload nouveau (inside screen) and activate nvidia binary, that is NOT possible with fglrx (there you should boot without x and radeon.modeset=0).

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Hey, at least I have KMS

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Hey, at least I have KMS
    Like he said, something "useful".