Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 Development Notes
More details concerning Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 will be announced in October and November, but for now there's a few items to share following the successful 2.8 release.
- Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 is already in development under the codename "Iveland". In continuing with the theme used from the PTS 1.x/2.x codenames of naming them after municipalities within a given county for that major release series, the 3.x series names are originating from locations within Aust-Agder, Norway.
- A Phoronix Test Suite 2.8.1 point release will likely be put out in the next week or two. So far there's only been one regression worth issuing a prompt point release for and that's just the Phoromatic module not syncing to new Phoromatic accounts when being run from 2.8.0 due to a simple typo, that's already been fixed in Git. Also in Git are a couple of other random bug-fixes and small changes, but nothing really exciting. If you have experienced any other 2.8.0 bugs please report them ASAP.
- The first of the Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 development releases will begin in late October. Though due to Iveland's development being a bit different from past releases, they may be released as "Milestones" rather than alpha or beta releases this time around. And there may be six to eight development milestones for this major release.
- A brand new, entirely redesigned "Phoronix Global" replacement to http://global.phoronix.com/ will be coming in tandem with Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 as part of Iveland's developments.
- It's still planned to release Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 in late Q4'2010, but I may not rule out pushing it back to Q1'2011 based upon the speed that it takes to implement some of these features in the Phoronix Test Suite and the new Phoronix Global. If this release does break the 3~4 month release cycle that I've long stood by, that may result in another point release or two for Phoronix Test Suite 2.8. There's also a possibility -- but not certain -- that half-way through the the 3.0 cycle that it may be released as a Phoronix Test Suite 2.10 release or under some other moniker as a 3.0 technology preview. If development goes according to plan, half-way through the development cycle the Phoronix Test Suite client will be quite stable and carry many internal changes, but will not yet have some of the other features I am requiring for the Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 release.
More details concerning Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 "Iveland" will be announced shortly. For anyone interested in the Phoronix Test Suite and would like to provide any feedback or discuss PTS usage, commercial services, etc and are near Munich or the San Diego area within the next six or so weeks, see: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODU2NQ
Last edited by Michael; 09-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.