Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 162

Thread: ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Read up on PVP-UAB. It requires that any content sent over a PCIE bus (or any User-Accessible Bus) be encrypted. Since there is no driver code running on the card itself you need hardware on the card to decrypt the video content before decoding it.

    The decrypted bitstream needs to stay on-chip, ie you can't use video memory as a buffer between a decrypt block and a decode block because that would make it too easy for an attacker to reach in and grab the bitstream.
    encrypt and decrypt do power consuming so in theorie an open linux hardware and driver will beat the windows one on saving power all the time..

    this kind of anti linux hardware just burns our nature and hole world...

    they really should bomb microsoft/hollywood not iraq/afganistan

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I do agree with the hostility. You either sell Windows or other operating systems, but you can't bundle Windows with another operating system.

    You either have closed DRM and have Windows certifications (why the hell can't you force a driver instal without certification, huh?) or you go open source, but you can't have both.

    Something smells rotten around here...

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I do agree with the hostility. You either sell Windows or other operating systems, but you can't bundle Windows with another operating system.

    You either have closed DRM and have Windows certifications (why the hell can't you force a driver instal without certification, huh?) or you go open source, but you can't have both.

    Something smells rotten around here...
    Duh, that's news to you? Of course the current system is rotten. I suppose one of the major reason no one cares is that it on average works.

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Duh, that's news to you?
    Well, actually it's not. I'm just sketching how it relates to previous Microsoft tactics, although this time it's a very convenient side effect.

    DRM has been "You either in or you're out" from the get go.

    *I'm not so secretively waiting for someone to reverse engineer the entire nVidia DRM and just put it out there. See what happens. It won't hurt the FLOSS companies like AMD and Intel.*

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    *I'm not so secretively waiting for someone to reverse engineer the entire nVidia DRM and just put it out there. See what happens. It won't hurt the FLOSS companies like AMD and Intel.*
    Sounds like excessively untrivial work. I suspect you have a long time of waiting ahead of you. I'm not also sure whether it's possible to do that level of reverse-engineering without the risk of damaging the cards in the process.

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Sounds like excessively untrivial work. I suspect you have a long time of waiting ahead of you. I'm not also sure whether it's possible to do that level of reverse-engineering without the risk of damaging the cards in the process.
    You think there is some kill-switch circuitry? Or do you imply physicaly dissasembling the card and putting it under an electronic microscope?

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Duh, that's news to you? Of course the current system is rotten. I suppose one of the major reason no one cares is that it on average works.
    Works? You think that MS on average *works*?

    Let me tell you something about MS and "works"....
    During my investigation into the question of why my mainboard IGP's DP port wouldn't output a DVI signal, one of the questions that came up with whether or not the blob driver under windoze would do that. Well I've *NEVER* had no choice but to give up in Linux, but the thing JUST WOULDN'T run MS. Works *GREAT* in Linux -- most stable board I've ever had thanks to the AMD chipset (previous boards all NV/SIS/VIA/whatever -- unstable flaky though they were). Not MS. Not happening. Wasted about 5 hours on that failed experiment and was unable to complete the experiment.

    So on average, even a computer engineer (that's me) stands a good chance of not being able to convince MS garbage to actually work. That trash can ROT.

    ** brings a new perspective to the sticker that says "designed for MS".... My machine won't run MS -- I need a sticker that says "designed for not-MS" with a skull and crossbone.

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    ** brings a new perspective to the sticker that says "designed for MS".... My machine won't run MS -- I need a sticker that says "designed for not-MS" with a skull and crossbone.

    o yes very nice :-) many people like me don't touch an windows system again just because of the DRM shit in Vista/7

    and yes microsoft windows is broken by design '.dll security hole' shows the true!

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You think there is some kill-switch circuitry? Or do you imply physicaly dissasembling the card and putting it under an electronic microscope?
    I'm talking of stuff like accidentally flashing it with garbage while trying to figure out which register does what. I suppose it's still possible to recover them even then though, just not very fun to.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    58

    Default

    So any news on Evergreen-accel branch getting merged into master?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •