Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Native ZFS Is Coming To Linux Next Month

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,357

    Default Native ZFS Is Coming To Linux Next Month

    Phoronix: Native ZFS Is Coming To Linux Next Month

    Prior to the emergence of Btrfs as a viable next-generation Linux file-system, Sun's ZFS file-system was sought after for Linux due to its advanced feature-set and capabilities compared to EXT3 and other open-source file-systems at the time. While ZFS support has worked its way into OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and other operating systems, ZFS had not been ported to Linux as its source-code is distributed under the CDDL license, which is incompatible with the GNU GPL barring it from integration into the mainline Linux kernel. Next month, however, a working ZFS module for the Linux kernel without a dependence on FUSE will be publicly released.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15232

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I'd be interested in seeing comparison between ext4/LVM-RAID5 with ZFS/RAIDZ. ZFS is not meant to be used on single disk as most of its features are only useful in multiple-disks setup.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    Is this for Linux? Or only for Fedora and Ubuntu? The article's title says "Linux", but the article itself says building from source is for Ubuntu?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Is this for Linux? Or only for Fedora and Ubuntu? The article's title says "Linux", but the article itself says building from source is for Ubuntu?
    Did you read the article? If there is source code that compiles against the Linux kernel (Ubuntu case), then it's for Linux.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    I did read the article. That's why I asked; the article says:

    "there will be RPMs for Fedora 12 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta 2. Installing ZFS on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be supported, but you will need to build the kernel module from source"

    I don't know about you, but to me this looks like only Red Hat, Fedora and Ubuntu are supported.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I did read the article. That's why I asked; the article says:

    "there will be RPMs for Fedora 12 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta 2. Installing ZFS on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be supported, but you will need to build the kernel module from source"

    I don't know about you, but to me this looks like only Red Hat, Fedora and Ubuntu are supported.
    Well, supported is irrelevent, isn't it? It's free

    So the source code is there, build it, and use ZFS in $_dist_of_choice like in the distros you mentioned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
    Well, supported is irrelevent, isn't it? It's free

    So the source code is there, build it, and use ZFS in $_dist_of_choice like in the distros you mentioned.
    My question resolves around whether this is possible at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    My question resolves around whether this is possible at all.
    I don't see why not? If you have the source code, and you know it's supported for Ubuntu 10.04, then why shouldn't it work with your own kernel as long as it's not too far from Ubuntu's version number?

    Just saying.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    If they're targeting Red Hat and Ubuntu, then this implies that they use non-kernel stuff. Otherwise, they would simply target the upstream kernel and be distro-agnostic, which is the easiest approach.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    If they're targeting Red Hat and Ubuntu, then this implies that they use non-kernel stuff. Otherwise, they would simply target the upstream kernel and be distro-agnostic, which is the easiest approach.
    So you think there's some non-kernel stuff in Fedora 12, RHEL 6 beta 2, and Ubuntu 10.04 that somehow can't be made to work on any other distros?

    Sounds like they're just targeting easy package management integration into those specific distros, and the code itself probably does target the upstream kernel.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •