Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD vs NVIDIA drivers, that big difference?

What is HA ?

HA = hardware acceleration... I was feeling lazy towards the end?

I've since noticed from the phoronix thread that it's in progress or is that assumption incorrect? So, I'll even take that last bit back and just leave it at hardware decoding being left (for major work needed)?

Anyway, just interesting state of things with HD 5xxx cards so I'm debating between GTS 450 and HD 5750/5770 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Power consumption? How well does power consumption work on ATI cards? Is it working close to the same as Windows? I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?

My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you? So, when you bash Nvidia for power, I am wondering if it at least works since you're using the dreaded blob?

I think power consumption is pretty important, just as much as some other features you' want and this is especially true for laptop users. But, nowadays, video manufacturers are trying to boast having the best with the latest and greatest so you want good power efficiency with your card and for it to work.

If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?
    there are a big difference between us i believe good thinks need time and you think if something isn't here and now in your hand it will be never in your hand.

it's the skill to imagine the future.

i think kano is the biggest advocate of the 'Here and now is the only. because you can Die Tomorrow'

"I believe it's not so great when using open source drivers, correct?"

this answer can be chance every day but i think today its correct.

"My point is, you're making compromises left, right and center, aren't you"

a compromis isn't the end of your life ;-)

"If it works with the ATI binary but then you want to use the open source driver, what do you do?"

what do i do? i try to help the dev's by testing the driver ;-)

Hardware Acceleration on Evergreen/HD5xxx is almost at the same level as 6xx/7xx, with the caveat that acceleration is only supported when running with KMS. As of yesterday there were known issues related to mipmap support and stencil buffer handling.

Andre just committed a fix related to lodbias (lodbias affects which level of the mipmap is selected when texturing), not sure how much of the mipmap issue that addreses. Looks like the fix should get rid of some unpredictable behaviour, so at worst it will probably make the remaining issues easier to diagnose and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the tesselation unit in hd2000-4000 isn't openGL4 compatible and this oldstyle trueform tesselation unit in 2000-4000 is just broken for unigine in generall.

your talking isn't so smart because in unigine2 nvidia is the clear winner because the benchmark is 100% nvidia focused.

the hd6870 will have a very fine tesselation unit ;-)
    When I originally tested the first Unigine for linux, tesselation did work on my 4650 or 4350, however, it was BEYOND SLOW. Now, tesselation on those older cards is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    When I originally tested the first Unigine for linux, tesselation did work on my 4650 or 4350, however, it was BEYOND SLOW. Now, tesselation on those older cards is broken.
    BTW, it is compatible with OGL 3.3. The only real difference is that OGL 4.0 allows for FAR more tesselation. I think it is 4 times more, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Andre just committed a fix related to lodbias (lodbias affects which level of the mipmap is selected when texturing), not sure how much of the mipmap issue that addreses.
    just tested on ioquake3, couldn't see any improvements to mipmap rendering at all.

The commit looks like it was a pain to track down, kudos on that.

<offtopic>Speaking of hardware tessellation, does the opensource documentation cover how to use it or are there IP issues?</offtopic>

We haven't gotten as far as looking at the tesselator yet re: working out programming documentation, ie the only issues so far are time and competing priorities. I don't expect that IP issues will get in the way other than the usual time-consuming process of ensuring that there aren't any serious IP issues

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    We haven't gotten as far as looking at the tesselator yet re: working out programming documentation, ie the only issues so far are time and competing priorities. I don't expect that IP issues will get in the way other than the usual time-consuming process of ensuring that there aren't any serious IP issues
    Hmm, I was kinda thinking of the tessellator in r600 series. But yeah, sure, higher priority things first.