Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesa 7.9 Planned For Release In September

Default Mesa 7.9 Planned For Release In September

Phoronix: Mesa 7.9 Planned For Release In September

Mesa 7.9 has shaped up to be one hell of a release with many new features and improvements throughout this open-source graphics software stack. For those that have been waiting for this to be officially released, there's good news and that is Mesa 7.9 should be released by the end of September...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU2MA

You forgot to tell also that the r300g library has been officially renamed to "r300_dri.so" instead of the old "radeong_dri.so" for some weeks in master now.
    Will mesa 7.9 feature r300 in its gallium flavor ?

Anyone know if the major distros are already using the mesa 7.9 dev branch in preparation for the wave of releases in late 2010? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Anyone know if the major distros are already using the mesa 7.9 dev branch in preparation for the wave of releases in late 2010? Thanks!
    Yes, looking at the changes of this release the distros which get Mesa 7.9 might be more interesting than those with older versions for both Intel, AMD or Nvidia hardware users which use open source drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 is using 7.8.2 and I doubt they'll pick up 7.9 (but there's always PPA..). I imagine other major distros are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 is using 7.8.2 and I doubt they'll pick up 7.9 (but there's always PPA..). I imagine other major distros are the same way.
    Heh, except for Fedora. They seem to have no qualms with integrating the very latest display server and drivers (including releasing with beta versions at times). To be fair, it generally works out fine, so long as you don't need Catalyst/fglrx.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofreason View Post
    Heh, except for Fedora. They seem to have no qualms with integrating the very latest display server and drivers (including releasing with beta versions at times). To be fair, it generally works out fine, so long as you don't need Catalyst/fglrx.
    Pretty much the reason why I use Fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I don't wanna "me2!", but this is also why I use Fedora: the forefront of the Linux evolution in a box Ubuntu sucks in that regard. Once you know how to "yum update" instead of "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and where to find the filth (RPMFusion) you're pretty much sold ^^,

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I don't wanna "me2!", but this is also why I use Fedora: the forefront of the Linux evolution in a box Ubuntu sucks in that regard. Once you know how to "yum update" instead of "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and where to find the filth (RPMFusion) you're pretty much sold ^^,
    But is Yum as fast as aptitude? I recently used OpenSuse and that Zipper thing was horribly slow in everything it did.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    With ubuntu, you can use x-edgers ppa, with mainline kernels ppa available, what elese new you can get?