Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 190

Thread: More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    Or distribution makers may start buying patents.
    Buying patents and writing Mesa code are two different things though. Could you clarify a bit how distros buying patents would allow Mesa devs to implement GL3?

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Could you clarify a bit how distros buying patents would allow Mesa devs to implement GL3?
    The could pretty much free the patented things so Mesa devs could implement them without anyone having to worry about getting sued.

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Are the patent licenses even available for open source distribution? I could easily see the owners only licensing in the scenario where someone can't just freely copy the Mesa from Red Hat onto their own distro and run it. Regardless, that's going to take a ton of money because these licenses are not cheap.

    I think the most likely scenario for access before the patents expire (starting 2018 i think?) is to do something like the fontconfig guys did. Create plugins, commented out code, etc., which individual users can activate at their own risk. I don't think the main VMWare/AMD/Intel developers are very interested in doing this, so it might have to come from the community.

  4. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Are the patent licenses even available for open source distribution? I could easily see the owners only licensing in the scenario where someone can't just freely copy the Mesa from Red Hat onto their own distro and run it. Regardless, that's going to take a ton of money because these licenses are not cheap..
    You completely misunderstood. FSF/distros/whatever instance would need to buy the whole patents and then give Mesa a license.

  5. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    This patent situation only covers S3 Texture Compression, right? This is a well known problem, and most open source games continue to work if it isn't available.

  6. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    You completely misunderstood. FSF/distros/whatever instance would need to buy the whole patents and then give Mesa a license.
    And that's exactly what i'm not sure they would be allowed to do, since there are an infinite number of possible copies of mesa. As opposed to just licensing it for something that's centrally controlled.

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    This patent situation only covers S3 Texture Compression, right? This is a well known problem, and most open source games continue to work if it isn't available.
    No, it's more than just that. Open source games can work around the problem, but the stuff covered is too useful not to be used by commercial engines. Unigine requires it, for example.

  8. #178
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    And that's exactly what i'm not sure they would be allowed to do, since there are an infinite number of possible copies of mesa. As opposed to just licensing it for something that's centrally controlled.
    DOH! I just read your post again and you were talking about buying the entire patent rather than just licensing it. That would indeed make everything possible - although i can't even imagine how much money it would cost. Those patents are a money making machine since they've got ATI/NVidia over a barrel.

  9. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    DOH! I just read your post again and you were talking about buying the entire patent rather than just licensing it. That would indeed make everything possible - although i can't even imagine how much money it would cost. Those patents are a money making machine since they've got ATI/NVidia over a barrel.
    Thanks for the lack of an edit button, phoronix. /sarcasm off

  10. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    This patent situation only covers S3 Texture Compression, right? This is a well known problem, and most open source games continue to work if it isn't available.
    One of the others I heard is that floating point textures are also patented. It's impossible to implement OpenGL 3.0 without them.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •