Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A First Look At The 2010 Linux Graphics Survey Results

Hybrid View

Default A First Look At The 2010 Linux Graphics Survey Results

Phoronix: A First Look At The 2010 Linux Graphics Survey Results

Earlier this month we started once again our annual Linux Graphics Survey in which we poll our readers about their choices and opinions concerning graphics cards, display drivers, and other graphics / X.Org related features of the Linux desktop. While this survey is still going on through the end of September -- so you still have time to participate -- here are the results from the first 6,300 people to submit their responses. We are publishing the results so far since there is the X Developers' Summit this week in Toulouse and some of these findings may prove to be useful during those discussions.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15275

"Only about 5% users are building from Git snapshots."

Just wanted to point out that I selected "distribution supplied / repository", even though the package manager of my distro fetches sources from Git, builds and installs those. It still counts as "repository".

So in other words, the survey assumes that distro supplied is different from Git sources.

Michael, The pie charts you provided was more difficult to read than just plain text.
    Could you refrain from using pie charts in the future?

Question Figures flawed?

Hmmm... strange. One should expect that you get the amount of usage of graphic hardware brands when adding up the percentages of the specific drivers. Yet, this does not work, at least for Intel and AMD hardware. Even when adding the figures for the VESA driver, the percentage of drivers which work with AMD (Intel) hardware doesn't reflect the percentage of AMD (Intel) hardware in the pie plot above -- it's far too low.

I find some of the results to be very surprising.

20% of the users use Linux for "enthusiast gaming"? This can't be right.

Similarly, less than 10% of the users caring about licensing would be very depressing if correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    less than 10% of the users caring about licensing would be very depressing if correct.
    I never understood why people deeply care about open source drivers. Does Microsoft spend any of their resources to develop drivers for various hardwares? To me, developing open source drivers makes sense only if the manufacturer isn't willing to provide Linux drivers. IMHO, writing and improving applications that compete and beat similar applications available on other platforms is better use of talented people's skills.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JantarMantar View Post
    I never understood why people deeply care about open source drivers. Does Microsoft spend any of their resources to develop drivers for various hardwares? To me, developing open source drivers makes sense only if the manufacturer isn't willing to provide Linux drivers. IMHO, writing and improving applications that compete and beat similar applications available on other platforms is better use of talented people's skills.

Cheers
    I believe you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not saying that this figure would be or should be 100% but it must surely be more than 10%. Michael has a duty as a news channel to report the results of this survey accurately. Vendors may read this statement or see it quoted elsewhere and consequently abandon any plans they might have had for open source driver development.

I never understood why people deeply care about open source drivers. Does Microsoft spend any of their resources to develop drivers for various hardwares?
    No, they just spend their resources in a certification process that hardware vendors won't pass unless they produce the drivers. That's not very useful unless you're running a monopoly operating system market.

I never understood why people deeply care about open source drivers.
    People deeply care about open source drivers because people care about open source software. The ability to inspect, understand and modify the software running on your computer. This has been the driving force behind the development of Linux, GNU, BSD, GNOME, KDE, Firefox, and a million other programs.

Drivers are no different. In some ways, they are even MORE important because your computer won't work without them. You can run your computer without OpenOffice, but you can't run it without video drivers.

Does Microsoft spend any of their resources to develop drivers for various hardwares?
    Who cares? Microsoft is a company who makes profit by selling software. They don't spend their resources for increasing literacy or reducing domestic violence, but that doesn't mean that nobody should care about these things.

Many people use Linux (or similar operating systems) because they enjoy the freedoms they get with respect to inspecting, copying, upgrading and developing the software they run.

To me, developing open source drivers makes sense only if the manufacturer isn't willing to provide Linux drivers.
    This is your point of view. From my point of view, Free Software is important because it lets you know what's running on your hardware, because it is generally free of charge (so people in poor countries can also use it), and can be kept running by a knowledgeable programmer long after a company stops updating a similar program.

I don't see Free Software as a second-rate replacement which is only used if you don't have the money for a Microsoft product. I see it as a more ethical and sustainable approach to software. Free drivers are important because they ensure that the whole system can remain free and can not be shut down by a single company.

Not all Linux users feel like this, and many simply run Linux because it's cuter, or faster, or cheaper. That's OK. But as a Linux user, you should be aware of what Free Software is about. You can start here: http://www.fsf.org/about/

Cheers
    Why?
    How about because my hardware literally CAN'T do what I want it to do with blob drivers. The ONLY possibility is open source drivers. This hardware CAN'T work properly in wondoze, this hardware CAN'T work properly with blob drivers.

Read this thread: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24480
    You will see what kind of weird hacks I need to use.

On top of that;
    1) To implement all of the features applicable to the platform rather than just features applicable to wondoze --- i.e. KMS.
    2) To not be dependent on anyone to support the latest kernel/xorg.
    3) Because withOUT EXCEPTION, the open source graphics drivers are FAR MORE STABLE than any of the blobs.

etc.