Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: AMD Catalyst 10.9 to Release 15/9/10-usa time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    68

    Default AMD Catalyst 10.9 to Release 15/9/10-usa time

    Hi yall,

    kudos to Rage3D, where I read this title first.

    After many years of following this drivers slow development, one again wonders what will break and what will work....

    The team writing "fglrx" is far, far too small, still. Perhaps someone could make the management a cup of coffee?

    Unlike the olden days, nVida hardware is borked, unless you don't mind heat, loud fans and of course bumpgates....

    I'm feeling somewhat trapped, between the devil and the deep blue sea.

    Perhaps my next video card will be an Intel, though there drivers seems ro be "challenged" also.

    Oh well, at least Civ V is due out in a week or so. I wonder if my 5850 will handle that?

    GreekGeek :-/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreekGeek View Post
    Hi yall,

    kudos to Rage3D, where I read this title first.

    After many years of following this drivers slow development, one again wonders what will break and what will work....

    The team writing "fglrx" is far, far too small, still. Perhaps someone could make the management a cup of coffee?

    Unlike the olden days, nVida hardware is borked, unless you don't mind heat, loud fans and of course bumpgates....

    I'm feeling somewhat trapped, between the devil and the deep blue sea.

    Perhaps my next video card will be an Intel, though there drivers seems ro be "challenged" also.

    Oh well, at least Civ V is due out in a week or so. I wonder if my 5850 will handle that?

    GreekGeek :-/
    they chance the stradegie with the 10-6 up to 10-10 all catalyst versions are just bugfixreleases…

    after 4 months of bugfixing we will get a stable driver (10.10) ;-)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    they chance the stradegie with the 10-6 up to 10-10 all catalyst versions are just bugfixreleases…

    after 4 months of bugfixing we will get a stable driver (10.10) ;-)
    i have to see that happening lol, since 10.2 to 10.8 is a havoc of a mess in my 4850x2 or maybe is that radeon is so nice already for my basic wine gaming(civ4 bts 3.19 already work with less glitches than fglrx lol) and desktop that fglrx just dont cut it anymore

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    i have to see that happening lol, since 10.2 to 10.8 is a havoc of a mess in my 4850x2 or maybe is that radeon is so nice already for my basic wine gaming(civ4 bts 3.19 already work with less glitches than fglrx lol) and desktop that fglrx just dont cut it anymore
    why do you buy a x2 for linux use ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    why do you buy a x2 for linux use ?
    1.) well i have windows 7 x64 for games i cannot run under wine like crisis warfare/batman arkham assylum/ mass effect/ CODMW2/etc. and i kinda like to max out everything to insane levels like 16x AA

    2 was cheaper than a 4870x2/gtx295 but way faster than a 4890

    3 waiting for opencl, when the day comes i want to encode my videos using as many cores as possible from my big GPU

    4 when radeon begin to accept multigpu render to scream more fPS in wine

    5 it takes 1 pciE instead of 2, so my msi 790fx GD-70 can handle 4 cards/ aka 8 GPU

    6 good enough for near future until the top x2 card from southern island reach the market aka i want a 6970 or 6870x2 card and a quad socket mobo with 4 opteron 16 bulldozer cores(??)

    btw i initially have 2 4850x2 but i decided to sell one and buy a gtx285 for one of my office's workstation

    since i don't spend much of my money in social life i like to buy the bigger hardware i can for my pc's every 2 years

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    1.) well i have windows 7 x64 for games i cannot run under wine like crisis warfare/batman arkham assylum/ mass effect/ CODMW2/etc. and i kinda like to max out everything to insane levels like 16x AA
    i drop windows and this kind of games 4-5 years ago ...

    i'm happy with old games and wine and OS games.





    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    2 was cheaper than a 4870x2/gtx295 but way faster than a 4890
    3 waiting for opencl, when the day comes i want to encode my videos using as many cores as possible from my big GPU
    do you know of the hardware bug in the r700 ?
    there are 2 gpu caches important for openCL and R700 emulate 1 of this cache in the vram!
    an R600 theoretical can handle openCL to but r600 neet to emulate 2 of 2 caches in vram

    in openCL a passiv cooled 5750 75watt can beat your hd4850X2! because of the vram emulatet gpu cache!


    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    4 when radeon begin to accept multigpu render to scream more fPS in wine
    there is no roadmap or plan to get multigpu rendering for the radeon driver.

    the radeon mesa driver is fokused on single gpu cards

    mesa 7.9 brings opengL2.1 and r800 support and mesa8.0 brings opengl3 and maybe galium3d next is openCL support in my point of view..

    there are zero DEV resources for multigpu rendering...


    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    since i don't spend much of my money in social life i like to buy the bigger hardware i can for my pc's every 2 years
    hey me to but i'm poor ;-) but yes my social life is the same

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i drop windows and this kind of games 4-5 years ago ...

    i'm happy with old games and wine and OS games.







    do you know of the hardware bug in the r700 ?
    there are 2 gpu caches important for openCL and R700 emulate 1 of this cache in the vram!
    an R600 theoretical can handle openCL to but r600 neet to emulate 2 of 2 caches in vram

    in openCL a passiv cooled 5750 75watt can beat your hd4850X2! because of the vram emulatet gpu cache!




    there is no roadmap or plan to get multigpu rendering for the radeon driver.

    the radeon mesa driver is fokused on single gpu cards

    mesa 7.9 brings opengL2.1 and r800 support and mesa8.0 brings opengl3 and maybe galium3d next is openCL support in my point of view..

    there are zero DEV resources for multigpu rendering...




    hey me to but i'm poor ;-) but yes my social life is the same
    about multigpu rendering i readed some time ago in this forum that david airlied had some code already and a SoC guy was intending to help on that sector, i dont think this will be fast but hey when i bought this card having a decent driver with fglrx or radeon was a pipe dream, who knows what will happen in the next year.

    so is not that i buyed the card expecting have crossfire instantmagically but more hoping in a mid term future -- same with opencl

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    about multigpu rendering i readed some time ago in this forum that david airlied had some code already and a SoC guy was intending to help on that sector, i dont think this will be fast but hey when i bought this card having a decent driver with fglrx or radeon was a pipe dream, who knows what will happen in the next year.
    so is not that i buyed the card expecting have crossfire instantmagically but more hoping in a mid term future -- same with opencl


    fglrx? i think you talk about the radeon one?

    well in my point of view the 10.9 catalyst is a devent driver..

    and i think on catalyst you are much more lucky on multiGPU rendering.

    and OpenCL works on cataylst to ;-)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    fglrx? i think you talk about the radeon one?

    well in my point of view the 10.9 catalyst is a devent driver..

    and i think on catalyst you are much more lucky on multiGPU rendering.

    and OpenCL works on cataylst to ;-)
    well fglrx have exactly the same issues for me that any other release
    aka

    1.) crossfire is a meh, sometimes you gain some few fps but most of the time it plainly do nothing or generate all type of havoc and render glitches

    2.) opencl, well it seems decent but some of my devs tested it regularly and nvidia still wipe the floor with fglrx in many use scenerios, so for now quadro are here to stay in my particular case

    3.) fglrx and wine is still a no go for me at least, i can bear the slowdown with radeon but i can't bear that many freaking lots of rendering glitches, especially with civ4 and codmw2(yes it works with wine, im so happy)

    4.) for some reason radeon feels much faster in my normal everyday composited desktop than fglrx + kwin trully hates fglrx shaders so is still a no go

    5.) i noticed a massive slowdown in unigine sanctuary since 10.4 80ish fps to 8 fps now(same in windows and only with fglrx, nvidia in both oses is almost the same than dx10)

    i admit fglrx is begging to take shape but after this long road i just dont have the patience anymore, especially since radeon is much better for my everyday use + if i need to do something heavy with 3d i'll probably my nvidia pc's at the office anyway and my only regular game civ4 run decently enough using radeon. so is not like i need it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well fglrx have exactly the same issues for me that any other release
    aka

    1.) crossfire is a meh, sometimes you gain some few fps but most of the time it plainly do nothing or generate all type of havoc and render glitches

    2.) opencl, well it seems decent but some of my devs tested it regularly and nvidia still wipe the floor with fglrx in many use scenerios, so for now quadro are here to stay in my particular case

    3.) fglrx and wine is still a no go for me at least, i can bear the slowdown with radeon but i can't bear that many freaking lots of rendering glitches, especially with civ4 and codmw2(yes it works with wine, im so happy)

    4.) for some reason radeon feels much faster in my normal everyday composited desktop than fglrx + kwin trully hates fglrx shaders so is still a no go

    5.) i noticed a massive slowdown in unigine sanctuary since 10.4 80ish fps to 8 fps now(same in windows and only with fglrx, nvidia in both oses is almost the same than dx10)

    i admit fglrx is begging to take shape but after this long road i just dont have the patience anymore, especially since radeon is much better for my everyday use + if i need to do something heavy with 3d i'll probably my nvidia pc's at the office anyway and my only regular game civ4 run decently enough using radeon. so is not like i need it
    "2.) opencl, well it seems decent but some of my devs tested it regularly and nvidia still wipe the floor with fglrx in many use scenerios, so for now quadro are here to stay in my particular case"

    you know hd4xxx emulate 1 opencl gpu cache in vram so a hd4xxx card can't beat a nvidia ever.
    i hope you do your testing with a hd5000 card.

    and wine is still nvidia focused but i think on dx10 games this will be better because on dx9 there are many renderpaths and on dx10 there are only1 renderpath..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •