Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composite/window resize bug back in 10.7 and 10.8?

Default Composite/window resize bug back in 10.7 and 10.8?

Greetings! I was just wondering if anyone else has run into the window resizing error again in 10.7 and 10.8 - let me explain as there is a bit of a backstory for it.

When running dual-head (using my laptops display and its HDMI out) AND running a bigger program such as VirtualBox, GoogleEarth, Celestia, etc. the window resizing error still seems to be there (basically it just takes forever to resize a window with a composite manager running).

Everything works just fine in 10.6, however 10.7 and 10.8 it came back. This is quite annoying as most of my time I am running VirtualBox (or some other program) with multiple displays hooked up. It doesn't do it if I am using JUST my laptop's display.

Any feedback would be great, thanks!

I've seen others post about resizing issues..personally I've only seen them if the ATI driver install didn't initialize and the card is running in vesa mode. I don't use VB but no issues with GE or Celestia.

The only real issue I see on a consistent basis is the black
    window issue with the new 2d driver component..Mainly with browsers and Thunderbird.. in Cat's 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 .
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Hmm, what is interesting is that I have never once got the black windows that everyone talks about, but I have been running into this problem instead, hah figures.

I do know that everything is working correctly though (DRI is working, full hardware accelleration, etc.). Annoyingly it only happens when I have it running with multiple displays (which is what I use 99% of the time). I guess we'll see what happens when 10.9 is released.

And I am using the new 2d component for the record. Strange, I must really have something messed up here.

MoyaBigfoot, what particular software are you running? (Distribution, window manager, xorg verison, etc) I'm having a hard time figuring out what problems your having because you don't clearly state what you are using.

Sorry about that. I'm running Gentoo Linux, FVWM-Crystal (basically just FVWM), and xorg-1.7.7 Is there anything else you're looking for? I vaugely remember testing it with xorg-1.8 a little while back and getting the same results too.

That describes a bit of the issue... Which Kernel Version, and version of FVWM-Crystal are you using?

3.0.6 for FVWM-crystal and 2.6.35 (with version 6 of the Gentoo patchset and 3.2-rc2 of the TuxOnIce patchset). The bug has been present with the past few versions of both kernel patchsets.

That's weird... why not give forcing XAA a try...

Code:
    aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

Wouldn't that still cause problems with resizing windows though? I thought that XAA was what was causing the problem in pre-10.6 drivers (However I could be totally wrong with that). I'll give it a try anyways in the next couple of days when I get a little free time and report back my results.