Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: A New ATI X.Org Driver Has Been Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,829

    Default A New ATI X.Org Driver Has Been Released

    Phoronix: A New ATI X.Org Driver Has Been Released

    While most of the exciting action for open-source graphics now occurs within the Linux kernel for the DRM and KMS and there is all the work being poured into the 3D side via classic Mesa and Gallium3D drivers, the DDX drivers continue to play a role for 2D acceleration and other X.Org features. AMD's Alex Deucher today has announced the first xf86-video-ati driver update in quite a while and that bumps it to version 6.13.2...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYzNQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default tiling

    Hello,

    The tiling stuff still confuses me. Are there two tiling implementations for 2D and 3D or do I need this updated '2D-driver' to get the tiling support in Mesa? I thought the shared parts are in the DRM drivers and the xf86 and the mesa drivers are completely independent, but I am not sure if I got this right.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    i have tons of segfaults on OSS drivers last time...cant even open glxinfos... need to get back to FGLRX

  4. #4

    Default

    Does anyone know if or when the evergreen_accel will be merged into master for xf86-video-ati ?

    I believe it's the last "exotic" branch you have to pull in order to get a working 3D capable evergreen Linux set up.

    Since mesa now has somewhat good support for evergreen (both in r600c and r600g) I wonder why that code live outside the master and wasn't released with this driver issue.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheyther View Post
    Does anyone know if or when the evergreen_accel will be merged into master for xf86-video-ati ?

    I believe it's the last "exotic" branch you have to pull in order to get a working 3D capable evergreen Linux set up.

    Since mesa now has somewhat good support for evergreen (both in r600c and r600g) I wonder why that code live outside the master and wasn't released with this driver issue.
    The plan was to merge evergreen_accel after the release and therefore, evergreen_accel branch should be merged soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Just a crazy thought:
    It would be interesting to try out e.g. Unigine Heaven (or BFBC2) in D3D11 mode through WINE on Evergreen (when Mesa 7.9 is released).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meklu View Post
    Just a crazy thought:
    It would be interesting to try out e.g. Unigine Heaven (or BFBC2) in D3D11 mode through WINE on Evergreen (when Mesa 7.9 is released).
    Just a crazy thought:
    Being able to try out Unigine Heaven. <- period


    (NB: using open drivers, that is)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    75

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by quintesse View Post
    Just a crazy thought:
    Being able to try out Unigine Heaven. <- period


    (NB: using open drivers, that is)
    It would be quite ironic if we could run it in D3D mode before OGL. <- period


    (NB: using open drivers, that is)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,108

    Default

    Not seeing any perf difference here compared to 6.13.1, gtkperf is identical. Then again my kernel is not new enough for the r700 tiling, maybe EXA can now use that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    AFAIK you need new bits all round for tiling to work.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •