Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Hybrid View

Default ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Phoronix: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

While most of the open-source Linux graphics drivers are currently in Toulouse for the 2010 X.Org Developers' Summit, David Airlie of Red Hat Australia is not among those in attendance. He, however, is continuing to work on one of his latest efforts in conjunction with AMD: R600g, or the ATI R600/700/Evergreen Gallium3D driver. In the latest batch of Git commits to Mesa there is now a number of new features implemented...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYwOA

AMD please, don't waste your time on classic. People have waited 1 year for Evergreen support, they can wait another 3 months. Focus your efforts on Gallium3D driver and infrastructure. I am sure evergreen owners are willing this, and will be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    AMD please, don't waste your time on classic. People have waited 1 year for Evergreen support, they can wait another 3 months. Focus your efforts on Gallium3D driver and infrastructure. I am sure evergreen owners are willing this, and will be grateful.
    I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.

I am talking about 3D experience. 2D should go into next ubuntu, but still that does not relate to Gallium3D.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.
    I already said this once: Ubuntu 10.10 users won't get really-working Evergreen support anyway. And as for 11.04 I believe we will get r600g working.

Very well said!

I am pesonally very greatfull for both the classic driver work since it has allowed me to (ab)use free drivers for my r600 a long while now, and I am also looking forward r600g becoming usable (it's not, kwin sort of works but it is way to slow to be anything near usable). But those I know who use Ubuntu.. NO.

Ubuntu is my favorite GNU/Linux for people who know nothing about computers. My old Ubuntu-using mother knows how to open Firefox and load a website, but she has no idea what "Ubuntu" or "Linux" or "Windows" or "Gallium" means and why would she?

Exclamation It Depends On Where The User Is Coming From

It still depends on where the user is coming from (as is the case with any new/upgrading user). Despite their reputation for it-largely-just-works, 'buntu has been known to take steps that no other Debian-based distribution (including rolling releases such as sid) is willing to take (such as working with AMD to gain customized Linux Catalyst driver releases, and going with newer kernels, such as 2.6.35-22 in the Maverick Meerkat RC). It is for this reason that I have added an older P4 to my test platform regime in order to observe the state of R300g (which has actually replaced R300c in Maverick Meerkat, and is available as a drop-in replacement for Lucid Lynx via both xorg-edgers and x-swat PPAs). My Evergreen_accel testbox needs a motherboard swap (BIOS in the current mobo has locked up); further, xorg-edgers has been having issues with compiles from this branch (this is something I've observed both prior to and since my meltdown), so I am taking this look in the meantime. I have noticed that R300g is more stable than R300c, especially considering that KMS is now enabled by default in Maverick, and under far heavier loads than the older R300c/UMS combination (even with UMS and R300c, KDE was largely for masochists; however, KDE is now actually usable, KMS and all, on anything driven by R300g).

It is also why I asked the question earlier of another poster in this thread that complained about bugs in KMS. Other than issues relating entirely to older kernels (anything older than 2.6.34 has known issues supporting KMS, and that is regardless of distribution), I have not seen any (either in posts in various fora, here, or personal observation). I want documentation/bug reports; otherwise, I have to take such comments with a large saltmine from Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post
    R300g (which has actually replaced R300c in Maverick Meerkat
    You still want to debate this?
    It is also why I asked the question earlier of another poster in this thread that complained about bugs in KMS. Other than issues relating entirely to older kernels (anything older than 2.6.34 has known issues supporting KMS, and that is regardless of distribution), I have not seen any (either in posts in various fora, here, or personal observation). I want documentation/bug reports; otherwise, I have to take such comments with a large saltmine from Siberia.
    If you are referring to my post, I was definitely not "complaining". I explained why distributions are happy to keep the UMS fallback that classic provides. I am not gonna wade through e.g. ubuntuforums.org to find examples for you, but as an example from my own experience even 2.6.35 KMS locks up for me due to fd.o bug 29389, and earlier kernels have no power management...

Well that's not how I see it as an Evergreen owner. I think AMD is doing the right thing fixing up r600c for Evergreen. Evergreen support in r600c is already very mature and relatively fast. Evergreen support in r600g is brand new and it may take a while before it has reached the level and speed of r600c. Maybe 3 months, 6 months, a year, who knows?

As an owner of a laptop with Evergree I couldn't agree more. Closed source drivers work fine enough (if you disable the new 2D accelleration architecture) until the Gallium drivers are ready.