Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Quote Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post
    What KMS bugs?
    <snip>
    Therefore, the question stands.
    I am not saying that everybody has issues with KMS, and I think most users share your personal experience of flawless KMS. It is just random issues you'll see in bug trackers and forums, where "radeon.modeset=0 fixed my problem thx". Hopefully this is soon history, but for now having the UMS fallback is nice. Just look back at when our intel user friends got their driver stripped of all "legacy"... Fortunately the radeon developers care about backwards compatibility and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Just look back at when our intel user friends got their driver stripped of all "legacy"
    I still have LOTS of BIG problems with Intel and KMS.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    OK, I've tried r600g.

In my tests, it is 2x slower than r600c in openarena. I get solid 60fps with classic, struggle to get solid 30fps with gallium. This is with vsync, so only rough numbers.

KWin bails out complaining that the effects are too slow. I didn't try disabling the checks. It works fine with classic.

Still, nice progress. I haven't noticed any rendering artifacts or lockups, so things re progressing nicely.
    What CPU ? What GPU ? How much RAM ? What kernel/ddx version and what mesa git commit. I am trying to find a config where r600g perform significantly slower but so far i only have config were it's at same level or little bit slower but definitly not 2 times slower (i have all vsync stuff off)

Quote Originally Posted by glisse View Post
    What CPU ? What GPU ? How much RAM ? What kernel/ddx version and what mesa git commit. I am trying to find a config where r600g perform significantly slower but so far i only have config were it's at same level or little bit slower but definitly not 2 times slower (i have all vsync stuff off)
    I just noticed you implemented color tiling on R600g
    To be honest it didn't work without color tiling (I had to reboot X), but now it works fine so I did some more benchmarks.

Openarena, 2560x1600, Very High quality.
    R600c + color tiling: 92.3 fps
    R600g + color tiling: 15.9 fps

Is it slow enough? HD 3870, 2 GB of ram, Athlon 64 3800+X2. Kernel: yesterday's drm-radeon-testing. ddx and mesa are today's snapshots.

Quote Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post
    R300g (which has actually replaced R300c in Maverick Meerkat
    You still want to debate this?
    It is also why I asked the question earlier of another poster in this thread that complained about bugs in KMS. Other than issues relating entirely to older kernels (anything older than 2.6.34 has known issues supporting KMS, and that is regardless of distribution), I have not seen any (either in posts in various fora, here, or personal observation). I want documentation/bug reports; otherwise, I have to take such comments with a large saltmine from Siberia.
    If you are referring to my post, I was definitely not "complaining". I explained why distributions are happy to keep the UMS fallback that classic provides. I am not gonna wade through e.g. ubuntuforums.org to find examples for you, but as an example from my own experience even 2.6.35 KMS locks up for me due to fd.o bug 29389, and earlier kernels have no power management...

Quote Originally Posted by glisse View Post
    AMD Phenom II Quad 2.8 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    64-bit gentoo (OpenArena is also 64-bit)
    Kernel is 2.6.36-rc6
    I'm not sure about which mesa git commit, but it's the git version from yesterday. Same with libdrm and ddx (all from head).
    Radeon HD 4550 (rv710)
    xserver is 1.9.0

It could be that vsync is aggravating the problem, but it was considerably slower.

If I can test something in particular, let me know. I can switch between the drivers rather easily. If you remind me how to turn off vsync in ddx, I can do that to, and benchmark with a standard demo.

r600g also uses color tiling with this kernel/mesa combination, right? It could be a likely culprit.

If you remind me how to turn off vsync
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=1

If you use gentoo you can put a file in /etc/portage/env/x11-drivers/ named xf86-video-ati with:
    Code:
    post_src_prepare() {
     epatch "/patch/filename.patch"
    }
    It will patch the ddx every time you compile it.

Awesome! Thanks.

Hrm, I'm having trouble with the patch, fullscreen apps are always synced although I turned it off in the game and in driconf. glxgears is not synced.

The patch is probably not applying correctly, I'll debug it and get back to you on that one.

In the meantime, with vsync on, this is what I get with the anholt demo in openarena at 1920x1080

classic: 43.3 fps
    gallium: 22.0 fps

Again, the vsync introduces a non-linear drop, so these are not an accurate measure of performance, but it's a significant drop nevertheless.

The patch is probably not applying correctly
    Which version of portage are you using? As far as I know 2.2 is needed (I use 2.2_rc88). If you do not want to upgrade portage, please use bashrcng-patching from the gechi overlay.

With portage 2.2 you you should see something like:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999 from x11
    * Package: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999
    * Repository: x11
    * USE: amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux multilib userland_GNU
    >>> Unpacking source...
    * GIT update -->
    * repository: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
    * at the commit: e843faf355c864beab81e74f0e39f8ad53d4c2bf
    * branch: master
    * storage directory: "/usr/portage/distfiles/git-src/xf86-video-ati"
    Cloning into /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work/xf86-video-ati-9999...
    done.
    >>> Unpacked to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work/xf86-video-ati-9999
    >>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work
    >>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work/xf86-video-ati-9999 ...
    * Running eautoreconf in '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work/xf86-video-ati-9999' ...
    * Running aclocal ... [ ok ]
    * Running libtoolize --copy --force --install --automake ... [ ok ]
    * Running aclocal ... [ ok ]
    * Running autoconf ... [ ok ]
    * Running autoheader ... [ ok ]
    * Running automake --add-missing --copy --foreign ... [ ok ]
    * Running elibtoolize in: xf86-video-ati-9999/
    * Applying portage-2.2.patch ...
    * Applying sed-1.5.6.patch ...
    * Applying as-needed-2.2.6.patch ...
    >>> Source prepared.
    * Applying xf86-video-ati_vsync.patch ... [ ok ]
    >>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-9999/work/xf86-video-ati-9999 ...