Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.36-rc5 Kernel Released; Fixes 14 Year Old Bug

Well, the entire point of RISC is speed. Getting an older/slower RISC CPU, like Arm, would beat the point as I have a Phenom 9950 X4 CPU.

It's probably just a nerd/geek thing to like it, but...

Couple of reasons, I guess. The first is that the RISC processors behind the instruction decoder don't handle things like flow control (branches, jumps, loops etc..) since that is all implemented in the instruction decoders. The second is that each new generation of GPU would require different RISC code (since the number and type of execution units varies from one generation to the next) and without the instruction decoder presenting a consistent programming model all of your code would need to be recompiled each time up upgraded your CPU.

GPUs share the second problem, but since the graphics world essentially uses an interpreter for state and drawing operations, plus a JIT compiler for shader programs, that hides the (constantly changing) instruction sets behind a driver layer.

Devius's point about there not being a data path to let instructions flow directly to the processing units is also valid.

This sucks =(

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well, the entire point of RISC is speed. Getting an older/slower RISC CPU, like Arm, would beat the point as I have a Phenom 9950 X4 CPU.
    Fine... you can get an IBM BladeCenter QS22 which has 2 PowerXCell8i CPUs at 3,2GHz in it and can run linux. You can also upgrade the cpu you have now and be happy knowing there are tiny RISC units in there Oh, and ARM is quite powerfull considering the amount of power it uses.

Unless Intel/AMD standardized on a RISC format, it would mean you would need separate compilers and executables to run a program on every different model of CPU, which would suck. And if they did agree on some kind of standard, it would probably need to go through a decoding process anyway, at which point you aren't gaining much from the current CISC decoder.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Fine... you can get an IBM BladeCenter QS22 which has 2 PowerXCell8i CPUs at 3,2GHz in it and can run linux. You can also upgrade the cpu you have now and be happy knowing there are tiny RISC units in there Oh, and ARM is quite powerfull considering the amount of power it uses.
    So it all boils down to this:
    1. Am I happy to have a RISC CPU that works like CISC?
    2. Do I like raytracing more than having a car?
    3. Am I going to build a Beowold cluster of cheap ARM CPU's?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    RISC *is* the future of computing. It's just a lot more convenient if the RISC processors are hidden behind an x86 instruction decoder
    thats the here and now... but in my point of view an VLIW chip can hurt an RISC one...

so an VLIW cpu like the HD5870 or the gtx480 are much more stronger than any CPU based on RISC with CISC emulator..

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Bingo. Dirk is running AMD now.

It's pretty neat having a company this big run by a CPU architect... the executive meetings are actually interesting for a change
    the very smart move of fusion is bringing an VLIW core with APU into the X86 core.

in my point of view a tiny fusion 18 watt chip can beat an corei7 intel cpu if the software is well writen in openCL ... thats because the dualcorex86+VLIW APU beat the corei7...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    thats the here and now... but in my point of view an VLIW chip can hurt an RISC one...

so an VLIW cpu like the HD5870 or the gtx480 are much more stronger than any CPU based on RISC with CISC emulator..
    Intel certainly thought so when they created Itanium, but it never took off.