Thread: Wine 1.3.3 Brings Various New Features

Default Wine 1.3.3 Brings Various New Features

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.3 Brings Various New Features

While new Wine development snapshots are generally released on a bi-weekly basis with the release almost always taking place on a Friday, the Wine 1.3.3 release came out today on a Saturday. The Wine 1.3.3 release has a variety of fixes and other improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYxOA

Yeah ! A new release !

Nothing to get excited about. They release the current dev build every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Nothing to get excited about. They release the current dev build every two weeks.
    There is a big difference between a dev build and a official release. The two weekly iterations are not for stable usage.

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    There is a big difference between a dev build and a official release. The two weekly iterations are not for stable usage.
    My point exactly. 1.3.3 is a dev build.

I find the biweekly wine builds to be as stable as wine ever is

The stable branch hardly ever gets backports anyway, so after a bit you will end up having to use the dev branch unless things work perfectly for you under 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanbreon View Post
    I find the biweekly wine builds to be as stable as wine ever is

The stable branch hardly ever gets backports anyway, so after a bit you will end up having to use the dev branch unless things work perfectly for you under 1.2.
    I actually don't disagree (I build from git almost every day, and the few serious regressions never live for long). I pretty much ignored the grandparents second statement about stability and was commenting more to the fact that the increase in versioning of dev releases means very little.

Dev versions increase by .1 every two weeks, no matter how much work got done in that time. The versioning of the official "stable" releases means a whole lot more, since there are real goals and major functionality that has to get implemented before Alexandre will increase that number. It's also the only type of build that major distros like Ubuntu are going to put in their own repos.

Dev versions increase by .1 every two weeks, no matter how much work got done in that time.
    Isn't the same true for the actual Linux kernel and many other important components?!

I'm always building the two-weekly.
    For sure the git repos are newer but that's more work for me and even less changes.
    The big stable releases are not useful because they aren't really more stable than using the dev builds and they get veeery old quickly and what worth is a stable program that is actually not working?!

My point exactly. 1.3.3 is a dev build.
    oops, my mistake... its indeed a dev build

Nothing see... just read along

They've fixed Google Talk.