Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,628

    Default Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

    Phoronix: Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

    Fedora 14 Beta is now available. It features the latest Fedora packages including the improvements to the GNOME 2.32 desktop, Linux 2.6.35 kernel, and much more...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYzNw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    The announcement says systemd is in, but the features-list wiki page doesn't mention systemd any longer. I wonder what's up.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi

    The original feature proposal from me was to make it the default. Since that has been pushed to Fedora 15, the feature list doesn't include it anymore. Now it is a optional init system for Fedora 14.

  4. #4

    Default

    Rahul: I'm not sure it's a great idea to promote systemd as an optional feature of F14 when we really haven't done much to make it so. AFAIK you still can't actually install systemd on current F14 without messing around with nodeps and force, and Lennart hasn't made any indication that he intends to support its use as a non-default init system on F14.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Rahul: I'm not sure it's a great idea to promote systemd as an optional feature of F14 when we really haven't done much to make it so. AFAIK you still can't actually install systemd on current F14 without messing around with nodeps and force, and Lennart hasn't made any indication that he intends to support its use as a non-default init system on F14.
    I didn't write up the announcement this time. You might want to talk to the marketing team regarding this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Thanks, good to know systemd is doing well and is gonna be default in F15.
    Also, the (new) D programming language (ldc) doesn't seem to work ok, it doesn't compile a simple hello world test app, it yields errors. D'you happen to know if it's by design or a bug?

    import std.stdio;
    int main() {
    writeln("hello world");
    return 0;
    }

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default writefln

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Thanks, good to know systemd is doing well and is gonna be default in F15.
    Also, the (new) D programming language (ldc) doesn't seem to work ok, it doesn't compile a simple hello world test app, it yields errors. D'you happen to know if it's by design or a bug?

    import std.stdio;
    int main() {
    writeln("hello world");
    return 0;
    }
    Use "writefln", not "writeln", and it will work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azmo View Post
    Use "writefln", not "writeln", and it will work.
    Thanks, but I still got same error:
    ldc test.d
    object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'
    import path[0] = /usr/include/d/
    import path[1] = /usr/include/d/tango
    import path[2] = /usr/include/d/tango/core/vendor

    File "test.d" is in home dir, compiling with "ldc test.d".
    Does it work for you?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default use gdc instead

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Thanks, but I still got same error:
    ldc test.d
    object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'
    import path[0] = /usr/include/d/
    import path[1] = /usr/include/d/tango
    import path[2] = /usr/include/d/tango/core/vendor

    File "test.d" is in home dir, compiling with "ldc test.d".
    Does it work for you?
    Strange. If I use "gdc" (gcc front-end) it works fine, e.g:
    $ gdc test.d -o test
    but I can not get "ldc" to work.

    Is currently on ubuntu 10.04. gdc 4.3.4 and ldc 0.9.1.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Sadly, this time the Fedora feature list lacks anything interesting for the average desktop user, apart from the obvious upstream advances. I'm aware that the BIG THING in F14 was supposed to be Gnome 3.0, and that won't be in for obvious reasons, but I would have gone through the extra effort to have systemd in. On my systems it was working seamlessly since version 10, but there might have been other regressions on different platforms, I don't know.

    However, this release is going to feel quite boring for a good set of users, and this is generally bad PR.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •