Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: The ATI R600g Driver Gets Boosted By A New Design

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Most of the commits to the r600g driver seem to have come from Dave Arlie (Red Hat), Jerome Glisse (Red Hat) and Marek Olsak (independent). Development has been going pretty crazy on it for a while now, ever since Jerome first opened it up for outside contribution.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You card is r700: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R700#Architecture

    "Ta-da": http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
    (If it's updated, but it seems it is)
    Hmm it says power saving is all done for R700, yet the leaf blower on my 4850 X2 is much, much quieter with FGLRX than with radeon in Ubuntu 10.10 even. It's not due to rendering inefficiencies I don't think because the throttling is a fairly immediate change.

    Yes, I know it was a high end card and needs powerful fans, it was a joke. :P

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    858

    Default

    That power saving is marked as "done" does not mean that there is no room for improvement.
    Also you need KMS and a recent kernel (2.6.36-rc or drm-next) to enjoy the latest and greatest PM code.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,572

    Default

    Yfwrlf, are you using the latest PM code (kernel modesetting, recent kernel, control by echoing text strings to system files) and if so which settings are you using ?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515

    Default

    If pm is marked done, does dynamic pm works without glitches now?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    No big secret or conspiracy why r600g is moving along, myself and Jerome have just gotten a big chunk of free time in our schedules and r600g seemed like a good plan. I suspect we'll disappear again in a while to do some non-upstream work, hopefully things will be in a good state before that happens.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    No big secret or conspiracy why r600g is moving along, myself and Jerome have just gotten a big chunk of free time in our schedules and r600g seemed like a good plan. I suspect we'll disappear again in a while to do some non-upstream work, hopefully things will be in a good state before that happens.
    I, and I think everybody in the Linux world, hopes so
    Can we an how, as regular Linux users show Red Hat some appreciation?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I, and I think everybody in the Linux world, hopes so
    Can we an how, as regular Linux users show Red Hat some appreciation?
    You certainly can... if you mean financially, by subscribing to RHEL: https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/

    If you want to offer gratitude, you can express it to airlied -- which you just did

    You can also keep up to date smolt profiles posted for all your hardware -- this information is extremely useful in helping red hat to allocate resources properly.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Why isn't ATI paying Jerome and airlied to do full time r600g development work? I bet those 2 can get r600g on par with the catalyst driver in a few months ^_^

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    Why isn't ATI paying Jerome and airlied to do full time r600g development work? I bet those 2 can get r600g on par with the catalyst driver in a few months ^_^
    Because both are full-time Red Hat developers already and it's more of a time issue?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •