Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine 1.3.4 Adds New Features, Supports ARM

Default Wine 1.3.4 Adds New Features, Supports ARM

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.4 Adds New Features, Supports ARM

With the latest bi-weekly development snapshot of Wine, the v1.3.4 release brings a variety of noteworthy changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY0NQ

Default ARM?

Wait a minute.. ARM? So.. I could see starcraft 1 running on linux based (eg N900) mobile phones? sweet!

AcceptEx is also pretty sweet, I always had to use a patched wine to be able to host games in Warcraft 3.

<3 wine

Nope, winelib is used for compiling applications against Wine. It means that apps won't run right away without recompilation.

Are there are well known examples of winelib actually being used? The only one I can think of is the The Sims. For anything that's actually open source, it makes more sense to do a proper port.

Yeah, winelib eases porting of windows applications to linux by providing windows APIs on linux, but you still have to compile them to ARM.

But, to run wine on ARM, qemu-usermode probably can do it.

The problem is that puny ARM processors probably don't have enough power to emulate the extremely irregular and complex x86 architecture (they don't call it a CISC for nothing).

"The Wine library now supporting the ARM architecture is good for those interested in wanting to run Windows applications on your ARM-based netbooks"

Does that sound wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewi View Post
    Are there are well known examples of winelib actually being used? The only one I can think of is the The Sims. For anything that's actually open source, it makes more sense to do a proper port.
    Picasa uses winelib.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    "The Wine library now supporting the ARM architecture is good for those interested in wanting to run Windows applications on your ARM-based netbooks"

Does that sound wrong?
    Yes. It's misleading. It certainly is not going to lead to x86 binaries running on ARM netbooks. At most it can potentially provide some source compatibility with Windows x86 software.

Maybe it's a precursor to a WineCE?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimion View Post
    Maybe it's a precursor to a WineCE?
    That's what I was thinking - soon we'll have Meego (maybe even Android) running apps from the various mobile Windows versions