Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105569

So, that is another illustration besides Ubuntu and Fedora. Another distro. Another failure.
    That seems like another example of "you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet" to me. Somebody asked a question and was given bad information in response... end of story. You don't help anyone by spreading that bad information to other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Meanwhile you waste all your time on phoronix forums bashing ati drivers, you should spend sometime reading a little. The main functionality for evergreen was introduced during the last month, you need git drivers, 2.6.36 kernel (or even better drm next kernel).

If you don't know how it works, ask, read... but please don't share your ignorance this way.
    Fair enough. I don't have a card so I accept that critique. But, am I saying something card owners would object to? I haven't read any yet. I only respond based on direct comments from card owners and articles (here or other Linux-based sources).

When you see someone having more problems than other users are reporting with the same setup, you have a choice. You can either say "ha ha, someone else is getting bad information" and come back here to crow, or you can say "hey look, other users at <forum> are reporting that this stuff works, maybe you need newer drivers or should talk to those other users for help".

One makes things worse, one makes things better. Your call.

Clearer writing would probably help. Most obvious example, from the first paragraph of the review:

In this article we are reviewing the ATI Radeon HD 5450 "Cedar" graphics card, which is AMD's lowest-end Evergreen GPU but will set you back less than $50 USD.
    The conjunction "but" is intended to introduce something that contradicts an earlier point. Given that this is the lowest end card, the fact that it will cost less than $50 is not a contradiction. This should have used "that" or "and" instead, because the following point reinforces the earlier point, not contradicts it.

An appropriate use of "but" would have been if it said e.g. "but will set you back more than $500" - i.e., if the price was not reasonably matched to its position in the lineup.

When the basic English is so flawed, and various facts and opinions are glued together so poorly, it's easy to get confused about what conclusion or final point is actually being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Fair enough. I don't have a card so I accept that critique. But, am I saying something card owners would object to? I haven't read any yet. I only respond based on direct comments from card owners and articles (here or other Linux-based sources).
    Well, the lack of objection is because your are being in the same way since long long time ago (are you so bored? you can try to find a hobby), so AMD users are "tired" of you comments and don't respond. You can read how r600g/c is working on others threads, but please don't disturb there with your typical comment.

Well, the lack of objection is because your are being in the same way since long long time ago (are you so bored? you can try to find a hobby), so AMD users are "tired" of you comments and don't respond. You can read how r600g/c is working on others threads, but please don't disturb there with your typical comment.
    No, I don't want to do that. I'm going to read the informative posts on how to configure and install in case I get a card. I hope there's some progressions by then.

Hopefully, prices will come down in two weeks. Not sure I'll want a HD 5450, though. I'll look at the 5570 and see how much it is.

In case you are serious, remember that 5570 gddr5 has much more performance than 5570 ddr2/ddr3.

Yayyy nice test thank you so much michael i bought a 5450 1gb ddr2 vram last day...

i now wrote on the 5450 card..

yes very nice idle 6watt and tdp 20watt :-)

i sell my 4670 last day.

I don't like the subjective comments of the review. You are being pro nvidia. I would like to see much more objective comments. With plain comments and graphs numbers the reader could see by his own if the card is interesting for him or not. There is no need to remark the parts you like.
    pro Nvidia? michael is just right in this test the nvidia performs better.

but in hin tests on all playable games the 5450 is over 30fps in reallity a better GPU in linux is just for benchmarkapps without any usefull or funny playgame.

and yes do this test again on OSS drivers and you will see the nvidia lose

yayyyy i'm so pro nvidia i buy a used hd5450 yesterday and sell my 4670-

just because it makes no difference if you use linux.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    fglrx is the biggest piece of crap driver ever. Anyone loving ATI for the sake of fglrx is definitely having something wrong in their head.

fglrx, is, a, lie.
    have you ever used a 10.10 catalyst ?