Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Gaming Mouse Vendor That Has Linux Drivers

Hybrid View

Default A Gaming Mouse Vendor That Has Linux Drivers

Phoronix: A Gaming Mouse Vendor That Has Linux Drivers

While Razer and Logitech manufacturer some terrific mice for computer gamers along with other gaming peripherals, they unfortunately do not provide any official Linux support. There have been community projects like Lomoco for supporting Logitech's extra mouse features under Linux and RazerTool for supporting some Razer mice, but without any full-featured support from the vendor. The smaller gaming peripheral vendors like Mionix are also no better at providing Linux support, but there is now at least one new vendor supporting such efforts...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY1Mw

I would love to know more about these products. I wish they were available somewhere in North America. I have a Saitek Cyborg keyboard with custom-programmable keys that I can't make any use of under Linux, and a Razer Mamba which looks really sweet but is limited to basic functionality (and doesn't have a 4-way scroll wheel). I'd trade both of them immediately for some Roccat versions if I could.

I see they named their product Kone and Kova... Are they from the KDE team?

@phoronix

You say the dumbest shit sometimes.
    Have you actually used their hardware?
    If not what do you base your claims about their hardware quality on?
    Reading your article the only thing you appear to base it on is the fact you have never heard of them before.

Your starting to sound more and more like some kind of cheep tabloid. LEAP FIRST GET FACTS LATER!

@insanemal, nothing new then?

Pity I didn't know about the Roccat Kone two weeks ago when I had to replace my Razer Diamondback.
    On the upside, I purchased a Razer Lachesis. The DPI buttons, and profile changing buttons work under Linux. Configuration however, is performed under Windows.
    This is certainly a step up from fixed resolution on the (early) Diamondback and the appeal of the advertised "on the fly" feature.

Quote Originally Posted by insanemal View Post
    @phoronix

You say the dumbest shit sometimes.
    Have you actually used their hardware?
    If not what do you base your claims about their hardware quality on?
    Reading your article the only thing you appear to base it on is the fact you have never heard of them before.

Your starting to sound more and more like some kind of cheep tabloid. LEAP FIRST GET FACTS LATER!
    Sadly it seems he's right, the quality is poor:
    http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?o=489819

Seems like the mouse keeps double-klicking on single-klick and when the mouse is laying still on a flat surface the mouse pointer on the screen jumps around on the screen like it's crazy.

Still it's nice to see more hardware vendors taking Linux seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymmarn View Post
    Sadly it seems he's right, the quality is poor:
    http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?o=489819

Seems like the mouse keeps double-klicking on single-klick and when the mouse is laying still on a flat surface the mouse pointer on the screen jumps around on the screen like it's crazy.

Still it's nice to see more hardware vendors taking Linux seriously!
    4 Reviews?
    Your seriously attempting to backup his rubbish statements on 4 reviews. One of which is a 7 out of 10.

I frequently see reviews of the RAZOR mice that say they are awesome. Yet I sold these for quite some time, and 50% of them came back with button issues in short periods of time. (I'm talking weeks). ESP that bloody HABU. That or issues with the really stiff cables suffering from cracks in the wires.

I'm more inclined to believe Zhick who apparently is a native in a country that stocks these mice.

MOREOVER I'm not suggesting that they should be praised on all accounts for simply having Linux compatible drivers. Which are apparently not made by the company but by 'some guy' from the community. Which in it self should be some kind of indication of quality. Generally people can't be arsed writing drivers for things that don't work or are crap . What I AM saying is, if he doesn't have concrete evidence he should try simply not saying anything. AND CALM DOWN MAN, SERIOUSLY. One tiny regression in a random daily build or RC and your like "END OF LINUX PERFORMANCE FOR THE REST OF TIME"

Lay off the coffee, and leave over-sensational reporting to <insert media outlet in your country here>

I bought a Razer keybord once. Oh Boy oh boy, what a disaster that was...

It was randomly opening the media player, going to the next track and hanging.

Now as far as reviews go for the Roccat Kone; the users on this site seem to be happy with their purchase (this is one of the largest Dutch tweaking site's).

It has had ten different reviews and the price only seems to be what's bothering them.

product as a whole = 4.5/5
    ergonomic = 5/5
    functionality = 5/5
    precision = 5/5
    design = 5/5
    build-quality = 4.5/5
    drivers = 4.5/5
    price = 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Gymmarn View Post
    Seems like the mouse keeps double-klicking on single-klick
    Funny story, my mouse started doing exactly that a while ago. I had two other identical mice, usually for my laptop and my girlfriend's laptop, which also started double-clicking around the same time.

They're all Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.

Makes me wonder if MS licensed the Sony timer..

Haven't found a better mouse though, most logitech's don't seem to fit my tiny, girlish hands :/

</rant>

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    I see they named their product Kone and Kova... Are they from the KDE team?
    I was just looking at the naming scheme and could not find a pattern besides Kova, from Kovalainen and Kone from Haikkonen maybe?