Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: GCC 4.4.5 Brings Bug-Fixes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,812

    Default GCC 4.4.5 Brings Bug-Fixes

    Phoronix: GCC 4.4.5 Brings Bug-Fixes

    While GCC 4.5 has been around since this past April, if you are still living with GCC 4.4 for whatever reason (like being hit with a massive performance regression), you may be pleased to know that on this Sunday afternoon there is the GCC 4.4.5 release that's now available. GCC 4.4.5 was delayed a bit, but it's here and offers up bug-fixes but no major new features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY0OQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    if you are still living with GCC 4.4 for whatever reason
    E.g. because you're using Ubuntu, because even Ubuntu 10.10 will still use GCC 4.4 by default.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    E.g. because you're using Ubuntu, because even Ubuntu 10.10 will still use GCC 4.4 by default.
    I don't think Ubuntu users (in general) care tbh. They just want a nice and easy preconfigured Linux OS.

    It's the part of the Linux users that want to configure everything themselves that cares.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    I don't think Ubuntu users (in general) care tbh. They just want a nice and easy preconfigured Linux OS.

    It's the part of the Linux users that want to configure everything themselves that cares.
    Even on Ubuntu, you can configure everything the way you like. My 10.10 system has GCC4.5 on it, and I have recompiled some stuff (like the kernel) using it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    Even on Ubuntu, you can configure everything the way you like. My 10.10 system has GCC4.5 on it, and I have recompiled some stuff (like the kernel) using it.
    True, but that wasn't my point. My point was that Ubuntu users generally won't be interested wheter they have the latest GCC or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    Even on Ubuntu, you can configure everything the way you like. My 10.10 system has GCC4.5 on it, and I have recompiled some stuff (like the kernel) using it.
    Are there any real advantages to building the kernel with gcc 4.5.x vs 4.4.x, I haven't been able to find anything apart from the problems that Mozilla had with it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    In more awesome news, GHC 7.0 hit RC

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •