Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 5450 on ubuntu 10.10 Software rasterizer?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default 5450 on ubuntu 10.10 Software rasterizer?



    how to chance this into hardware rasterizer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Given the timing of Evergreen accel development and Meerkat lockdown I doubt that the drivers are sufficiently up to date. You need later than 6.13.2 radeon or backports from the evergreen-accel branch (probably not there so you won't get any accel), Mesa 7.9 (which probably is there, although last I heard it was frozen a bit before the last Evergreen fixes went in) and I think you need 2.6.36 kernel vs 2.6.35 in Meerkat.

    In other words, you almost definitely need newer X and kernel drivers, and might need newer Mesa as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Given the timing of Evergreen accel development and Meerkat lockdown I doubt that the drivers are sufficiently up to date. You need later than 6.13.2 radeon or backports from the evergreen-accel branch (probably not there so you won't get any accel), Mesa 7.9 (which probably is there, although last I heard it was frozen a bit before the last Evergreen fixes went in) and I think you need 2.6.36 kernel vs 2.6.35 in Meerkat.

    In other words, you almost definitely need newer X and kernel drivers, and might need newer Mesa as well.
    ok thx for the howto-

    ubuntu 10.10 so close fails to support r800 directly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    ubuntu 10.10 so close fails to support r800 directly.
    Ubuntu isn't know for its cutting edge software support :P

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Ubuntu isn't know for its cutting edge software support :P
    10.10 isn't stable right now and mesa7.9 is the cutting edge version..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    I think the problem was that evergreen accel support came out too close to 10.10 lockdown to allow time for testing.

    BTW I don't think 10.10 actually has mesa 7.9 final, but picked up a slightly earlier drop from the mesa 7.9 branch a few weeks before 7.9 went final. If Meerkat were "Ubuntu 10.11" everything would have lined up a lot better

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I think the problem was that evergreen accel support came out too close to 10.10 lockdown to allow time for testing.

    BTW I don't think 10.10 actually has mesa 7.9 final, but picked up a slightly earlier drop from the mesa 7.9 branch a few weeks before 7.9 went final. If Meerkat were "Ubuntu 10.11" everything would have lined up a lot better
    right.. my problem is i think if i use xorg-edgers for the OS driver i think i broke my system for the catalyst 10.10..

    damn.

    ok cat 10.10 first then xorg-edgers LOL..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    48

    Default

    With ppa-purge, also included in xorg-edgers ppa, you can revert to the original packages even if your xorg should be broken...
    ...at least worked well for me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    343

    Default

    OTOH, xorg-edgers for Maverick should have everything needed for Evergreen support by now. Just add a kernel from the Kernel Mainline PPA.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    OTOH, xorg-edgers for Maverick should have everything needed for Evergreen support by now. Just add a kernel from the Kernel Mainline PPA.
    Pretty sure xorg-edgers ppa doesn't include evergreen-accel branch last time I checked..otherwise yes it has new kernel and xorg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •