Thread: How to enable gallium llvm software rasterizer in Ubuntu 10.10

Default How to enable gallium llvm software rasterizer in Ubuntu 10.10

Hi all,

i want to use ubuntu 10.10 with software rendering from gallium. I install the dri experimental package and it installs swrastg_dri under /usr/lib/dri.

I could enable software rendering when i used xorg-edgers by using an environment variable since the gallium drivers where placed in a different path but this does not apply anymore since they are all installed in the same directory.

Is there a way to enable the gallium driver ?

I have an imac with a 7600 nvidia that is fried and only works with the software renderer.

Thanks in advance

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 usually does the trick. You shouldn't need a different path.

Keep in mind that's most likely the softpipe renderer, which is quite slow. You'll probably want to use llvmpipe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 usually does the trick. You shouldn't need a different path.

Keep in mind that's most likely the softpipe renderer, which is quite slow. You'll probably want to use llvmpipe instead.
    Ok i was not very clear on what i wrote. I already use the software renderer from mesa because the 3d chip on the nvidia card is destroyed and the nouveau driver can not initialize it. But i would like to use the llvmpipe. How can i configure the system to use that ?

Ideally i would like to be able to switch between these renderers on demand (change a parameter and restart X)

There's no need to restart X - you'll only need to set an environment variable.

I don't really know if llvmpipe is packaged in Ubuntu, but if not, it's easy to build. Just follow the instructions in http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...lvmpipe/README

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    There's no need to restart X - you'll only need to set an environment variable.

I don't really know if llvmpipe is packaged in Ubuntu, but if not, it's easy to build. Just follow the instructions in http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...lvmpipe/README
    Unless gallium has 2 software rasterizers (which i do not know for sure) then swrastg_dri.so is the llvmpipe. It is installed using the experimental dri package, but i do not know how to select it.

It does, softpipe and llvmpipe.

How is llvmpipe running with compiz these days? im on an old sis card and moving windows around looks absolutely horrible, so maybe compiz could make it look nice if I could just start it (no glx )

Actually I got kwin working with the xorg-edgers repo. I can drag windows around nice and smoothly compared to when using metacity (need I mention that kablammo swhoosh special effects were no that smooth?).

Since kwin can work and actually do effects etc. there should be no reason why compiz should have a problem running other than itself refusing to run? It says it detects a software render but glxinfo has no mention of that, and in fact says direct rendering is working. Any ideas?