Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: total ATI driver confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    Nice. What's the easiest way to see if this has gone into the xorg-edgers repo? Currently I use:

xserver-xorg-video-ati/lucid uptodate 1:6.13.99+git20101012.0d1f9fd0-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid

I do know how to compile from git but changes happen so rapidly I normally change it back to use the repo unless I'm fiddling with it.
    This was a kernel fix, so it is not targeted by the xorg-edgers PPA. There is a kernel in the PPA, but its purpose is to provide headers for building the other packages.

The daily builds in the Mainline Kernel PPA will have the fix as soon as it lands on the main kernel tree. There are also drm-next builds but they do not seem to be daily. The directories have a COMMIT file to identify from which commit they are built, so you can check if it is before or after the fix in question.

But come on, if you are testing latest stuff and hanging out here, why are you using 10.04? In this context, 10.04 is obsolete stuff, please use 10.10 as a base...

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    But come on, if you are testing latest stuff and hanging out here, why are you using 10.04? In this context, 10.04 is obsolete stuff, please use 10.10 as a base...
    Because as it is, I can switch back to unaccelerated mode and have a perfectly working desktop as long as I don't try anything graphics intense when I need that. Particularly the Ubuntu LTS+1 releases have been bad, so I'll wait for natty to upgrade everything. I probably could install a completely separate system for testing, but as long as I've upgraded the kernel and the X stack I figured that would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    Because as it is, I can switch back to unaccelerated mode and have a perfectly working desktop as long as I don't try anything graphics intense when I need that. Particularly the Ubuntu LTS+1 releases have been bad, so I'll wait for natty to upgrade everything. I probably could install a completely separate system for testing, but as long as I've upgraded the kernel and the X stack I figured that would be enough.
    What is a good or bad release seems to be individual and depends strongly on your hardware I guess. My experience with 10.10 so far is really good. Seems like they did not push too much changes so it is rather polished. The xorg stack is very up to date.

Anyway, I can understand your reasons for staying on LTS. I use mostly LTS at work, so I can focus on what runs on top of the OS And I am guilty of some nice Frankenstein OS+kernel+xorg combinations as well!

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    will this patch be in the rc8 kernel of the 2.6.36? or in an bugfix release for an 2.6.35 kernel ??

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    will this patch be in the rc8 kernel of the 2.6.36? or in an bugfix release for an 2.6.35 kernel ??
    Yes:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...cee262f8d9261d

I'd like to get something into 2.6.35 stable as well.

Yes:

ok good work "trumps up" i now have the ubuntu v2.6.36-rc8-maverick kernel.

in generall its magic flash works much better with the radeon than with the catalyst.

i can watch flash vids in the firefox4 with radeon.. with catalyst its imposible.

Weird.

I am watching Justin tv on Linux with FireFox.

Catalist beta 10.10.

Suse 11.3

Yes:

is the patch in the 2.6.36rc8? 1 minute ago my x server crashes again..

or will it be in the rc9 kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    Weird.

I am watching Justin tv on Linux with FireFox.

Catalist beta 10.10.

Suse 11.3
    do you use Minefield4

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    is the patch in the 2.6.36rc8??
    Yes, it is.