Thread: ATI and NVIDIA in same system, is possible?

Default ATI and NVIDIA in same system, is possible?

i have a Radeon 5870 and nvidia 9800GT. both run in windows 7 perfect (physx mod)

but in linux don't install drivers at while.... or nvida or Ati (conflicts between both drivers)...

exist method for install both drivers at while?

my idea is use 5870 for render desktop and the 9800GT use for decode videos (VDPAU) and CUDA (cra... ejem XD)

any ideas?

greetings

If you are really experimental you could try a xen setup with dedicated pci device. Usually mixing binary drivers is impossible. Have luck with 2 instances, maybe 1 in chroot...

Quote Originally Posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    i have a Radeon 5870 and nvidia 9800GT. both run in windows 7 perfect (physx mod)

but in linux don't install drivers at while.... or nvida or Ati (conflicts between both drivers)...

exist method for install both drivers at while?

my idea is use 5870 for render desktop and the 9800GT use for decode videos (VDPAU) and CUDA (cra... ejem XD)

any ideas?

greetings
    Afaik not possible. Both nvidia and fglrx are replacing libgl.

libgl is the least of your problems. By manually moving each driver's libgl to it's own directory and overriding LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or something) this can be avoided.

The bigger problem would be two kernel modules. I doubt they can be loaded at the same time without mauling each other. Then again, it may be worth trying.

In any case, pulling something like that off requires a lot of duct tape and knowledge of system internals.

Oh, using the OSS drivers, you can easily use both at the same time. However, there's no VDPAU or CUDA on the OSS drivers, so it's pretty pointless for this use case.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Oh, using the OSS drivers, you can easily use both at the same time. However, there's no VDPAU or CUDA on the OSS drivers, so it's pretty pointless for this use case.
    .... how about running OSS radeon + nv blob? That might work

OSS radeon on Evergreen requires KMS, I'm not sure if the nvidia blob can handle that. But yeah, it might work.