Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 82

Thread: ATI, please release an Open UVD API

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Lets reverse engineer without manpower anyway. Yeah that'd be great; AMD's DRM gets cracked, key revoked and FLOSS documentation stops!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    Oke, perhaps dxva to vaapi is not the optimal path and perhaps not even possible but "if" it "could" work then it would be the fastest way to get all UVD's features on linux.

    For now: ATI, please provide UVD documentation!

    Note: above is said that there is no clue on how to use UVD, but that's not true anymore. The xvba library is doing it so with some reverse engineering you can probably discover how to make contact wuth the UVD chip?
    uvd is nonsence because uvd is only a copyprotection the UVD self uses the SHADERS! to calculate the vids...

    and linux users do not need this DRM shit.

    right now bridgman and os team work an an shader based solution for the os driver.. thats a big deal!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    uvd is nonsence because uvd is only a copyprotection the UVD self uses the SHADERS! to calculate the vids...
    No, UVD is a dedicated chip, it uses its own functions to calculate vid, using very low power. Post processing is done on shaders.

    Anyway, I would not consider uvd really important nowadays. Mplayer / ffmpeg is truly an awesome software!!, try to read their devel list you will be shocked, those devs work at assembler level fighting to achieve always less cpu cycles per instruction. An atom d510, 10 W cpu, with mplayer-mt (multi-threaded version) can decode Hi-Def h.264 AVC @ 40Mbps.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No, UVD is a dedicated chip, it uses its own functions to calculate vid, using very low power. Post processing is done on shaders.
    the hd2900 for exampel do have no UVD unit but the same featureset...

    uuhh you mean the UVD unit use the shaders for post-processing ? LOL..

    i know the UVD unit use the shaders.

    because.... the shaders do the work and the UVD unit do the copyprotection.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the hd2900 for exampel do have no UVD unit but the same featureset...

    uuhh you mean the UVD unit use the shaders for post-processing ? LOL..

    i know the UVD unit use the shaders.

    because.... the shaders do the work and the UVD unit do the copyprotection.
    No you are wrong.

    The 2900 is a special case, where amd marketing claims things that 2900 doesn't have.

    http://www.dailytech.com/Whoops+ATI+...rticle7447.htm

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No you are wrong.

    The 2900 is a special case, where amd marketing claims things that 2900 doesn't have.

    http://www.dailytech.com/Whoops+ATI+...rticle7447.htm
    you can have all feature with NO UVD unit but you need the UVD unit for DRM and Copyprotection.

    and the UVD unit use 'shaders' for calculations.

    but i'm wrong LOL

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    your source "Last year ATI made false claims of HDCP compatibility with its Radeon X1900-series graphics cards, despite the lack of HDCP keys. Eventually ATI was sued over these claims under false advertising pretenses."

    LOL only DRM/Copyprotection is missed ALL HARD Features are there ! only Features of hurt you are not there..

    but why do you want to hurt your self ?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    No, you are totally wrong. You can have all features not because UVD does the drm portection and shaddes do the work, it is because software - cpu does all the work. On GPU with UVD chip (present on the same GPU die) video uses specifically implemented UVD functions to get decoded, and then it is post processed using shaders or cpu.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    So, ATI, why don't you release a API to make use of UVD? That way you can keep all the secrets and still unleash the power of UVD in Linux. The Linux community will likely pick it up and make vaapi implementations which in turn can then be used in players like mplayer, xine and what not.

    I'm asking this because ATI is even actively promoting it's new features, but we all know they are not available on Linux at all! The little deal you have with splitted-desktop-systems is nice and does help to get some UVD stuff in linux, but it would be far better if you just release an API to make use of all of UVD's power.
    ^
    Good luck on that...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you can have all feature with NO UVD unit but you need the UVD unit for DRM and Copyprotection.
    No, you can't. The problem is you don't know, or understand, about the different decoding stages. In particular, what VLD, motion compenstation et al. are all about, and where it is done.

    and the UVD unit use 'shaders' for calculations.
    Again, no. It's a separate block with specific I/O.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •