Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI, please release an Open UVD API

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Your argument seems to be "You, with your knowledge of how things work and what needs to be done, estimate 6 months. That feels like a long time to me so I think it will take you 2 weeks, maybe 2 months."

If you're not running from xorg-edgers or installing the latest kernels etc, then it will take time for current development code to filter through. If you are, then I think you would have noticed significant changes. For example, my Evergreen card performs a lot better now than 6 months ago, and I believe that cards on the R600{c|g} drivers have seen one or two performance/functionality improvements in this time.

I think you are being grossly unfair here. AMD hasn't sent a graphics card to a particular site within a couple of days of the launch of their product, and from this you infer that AMD doesn't care about Linux drivers? They would not have released such large amounts of documentation and be paying people to develop an open source driver that they did not care about (and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here). Give them a chance - does it not seem more likely that it was an oversight or an honest mistake?

Would it be complete in 6 months? Is $2500 a month a reasonable salary for a highly skilled developer in the area? Do 5 sufficiently skilled developers want to work for AMD? Can they pack in their current job (assuming they have one) for just 6 months?
    you are twisting and/or making my comments look way more negative then they actually are. I'm not gonna reply in your reply any further.

sjeeees....

"and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here)"

bridgman not not not bridgEman he is not a 'bridge'

and no bridgman isn't activ @ phoronix he is omnipräsent omnipräsent omnipräsent omnipräsent

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "and I imagine Mr. Bridgeman would not be so active here)"

bridgman not not not bridgEman he is not a 'bridge'

and no bridgman isn't activ @ phoronix he is omnipräsent omnipräsent omnipräsent omnipräsent
    Sometimes, names actually mean something.
    It could very well be that one of Mr. Bridgman's ancestors worked on or designed a bridge
    ... which might imply a history of engineering in his blood.
    ... which would explain a few things

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Sometimes, names actually mean something.
    It could very well be that one of Mr. Bridgman's ancestors worked on or designed a bridge
    ... which might imply a history of engineering in his blood.
    ... which would explain a few things
    Hmm, in that case one of my ancestors was a Roman slave digging ditches..
    2000 years later so am I
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Yeah, I know the feeling. Some of the information about my ancestors suggests that they may have merely lived under a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Some of the information about my ancestors suggests that they may have merely lived under a bridge.
    lol.... modern living under a bridge with highspeed VDSL 50mbps or 100mbps kable or 1000mbps fiberglas flatrate line

so you can programm on the os driver and at the same time you can feed the ducks in the water

UVD is VERY VERY quickly starting to look uninteresting. XvMC on G3D!! WOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    UVD is VERY VERY quickly starting to look uninteresting. XvMC on G3D!! WOO!!
    This is what AMD devs wish for. In that case they don't have to bother with the documentation and people will stop bashing them for this...

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    This is what AMD devs wish for. In that case they don't have to bother with the documentation and people will stop bashing them for this...
    ... did you have a point to make?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Some of the information about my ancestors suggests that they may have merely lived under a bridge.
    Mr. Bridgman, are you suggesting that you are *dun dun DUH* part TROLL? I think that would blow my mind